Point Abino ...Well Tried

Fishmaster

Headed to Point Abino yesterday morning ...one of those days when ya should have just gone back to bed ...Left home around 6:45 with not a drop of wind, got to the Birdie Boat Club to find wind and waves. Thought what the heck, lets go and see how rough it actually is out there. We got to the light house and turned around, no thanks, too bumpy ...As we are coming back into the Birdie Club flowingalong with their buoys, bounce, bounce off a rock ...if you're heading in or out of the Birdie be careful there are lots of rocks at the mouth. Yup new prop now needed ...so after this ordeal we load the boat and head for Port Colborne where I usually get a few perch from shore ...Set up and double headers for the 1st 5 minutes ...then it was non stop Gobies, one after another, even some double and triple headers and big Gobies lol...well after about 2 hours of slaying the Gobies and a few Perch we headed home ...When we get home we find a broken Rod in the boat ...Sorry Bill >:(...all in all with the Crap that happened today me and Bill still had a little fun ..Thanks for Joining me Bill next time we will slay the Point Abino Perch ...

Some of the 100s of Minnows Stealer's ...

GobbieswithBillOct20th001.jpg

Few Perch that were kept do to deep hooks ...

GobbieswithBillOct20th002.jpg

I went to the Catt on Lake Erie yesterday with some hope to get into more perch. We were really hammering the BIG jack perch at 72 feet straight out of Cattaraugus Creek. But when I arrived at 7:45am I could tell the lake was going to be rough and COLD. So I did like everyone else there, trolled for steelhead for about 2 hours. No luck for me and I didn't see anyone else hook up (about 6-7 other boats).

The Catt is just a bit west of Point Abino and we usually can see it once we get out 5 miles into the lake. When I fish Sturgeon Point, Point Abino is directly across the lake and have made that run a couple of times years ago. Now we do MUCH better out of the Catt. However, I have fished out of Point Abino many times when I was younger, launching at the free launch they had between the Canoe Club and Yacht Club. I would fish smallmouth bass under the moored sailboats with black jigs and sometimes fish perch in the cut out channel they have there.