Oil the reel over the winter?

gogu392

I take apart all my reels over the winter and degrease/clean then regrease everything. Keeps them running smooth!

Just a tip, DONT DO THIS UNLESS YOU KNOW HOW TO PUT IT BACK TOGETHER!

there is a lot of little parts in there, alot more than you might imagine.

Also my centerpin gets taken apart almost after every time I use it, picks up dirt and crap and makes a grinding noise I cant stand!

+1 on oiling regularly since I use my reels all winter for steelhead it is especially important to get a good lithium grease as well. The most important storage tip for any reel though is too back the drag right off if you are going to store it for any length of time. No tension on the springs helps them last longer obviously.

For the oil I use Quantum hot sause or reel butter oil, both can be purchased at Bass Pro, Oh remember a little goes a long way. For grease and depending on the reel and what time of the year I am using it, I use, as mentioned, lithium grease, but 6 times out of ten any type of silicone grese works really well. I think the Abu Garcia grease is silicone based. What ever you do Do not buy Quantum grease, it sucks.

Hope this helps

Daniel

Baitcasters: I remove the bearings and soak them in lighter fluid. Air dry on a clean paper towel. Apply 1 drop of oil to the bearings. I have used "Hot Sauce Oil" but I like "Yellow Rocket Fuel" better. Remember 1 drop of oil. Two drops not so good and three drops bad. You must hold on to the little springs that hold the bearing in or they jump out and are pretty nearly impossible to find. Too much oil on the antireverse bearing can cause it to malfunction.

I clear the insides with "Reel Scrub" and grease the gear teeth. I have taken them apart completely but its a big chore. When this is needed I send them to a repair servce.

Spinning reels: I just use the reel scrub and relube the gears and put a drop of oil on the bearings or bushings.