NF-ish: looking for a gently used tow vehicle in GTA

maybe

Jeff and I are on the hunt for a 2000-2003 Yukon/Suburban type critter. It'll be a 3rd vehicle, so no sense in getting too fancy...gently pre-loved is just ducky.

We checked out the North Toronto Vehicle Auction this morning. Wow. Neat place, shame the rig we were looking at had too many problems.

Tomorrow we'll be headed back toward Toronto to see a few trucks from wheelsonline.ca.

We've never shopped for a vehicle down there before, so we're kinda clueless about where the really nifty offline sources are. If anyone's got some local knowledge they'd like to pass on, we'd love to hear it!

Much as I like Dodge trucks, that's not gonna happen. I already have my dream car, so this one's Jeff's choice - and he's in love with those Suburban things. Having a big lockable cargo bay is useful for him, and the extra seating vs a truck is likely a good idea - our other 2 vehicles are 2-seaters. We do agree on one thing - we're not van people.

Hadn't thought of importing, but that is a nifty suggestion. Sounds like the Lincoln guy got a heck of a deal! Don't think I'm brave enough to go that route, though. The way Murphy's Law works, I'd be that one case where the paperwork screws up, and the parts that break are different on the US model. Never know - someone else may snag themselves something great after reading your post.

Like I said, this SUV is a 3rd vehicle for the 2 of us. It's not going to see much daylight. We're not looking for something that'll do daily service for years to come, just an occasional backup/hauler that doesn't look too bad. I'm thinking $10k is plenty to waste on that.

Useless trivia: I pulled a Carfax report on the Suburban we went to see at the auction. The information in the report was nearly 2 years out of date. For $25, Carfax swore it was a 1-owner vehicle, low miles, and the plates were last renewed in December 2006. Wrong. The vehicle had actually been transferred through 2 other owners since then, and gained 40,000km - all fully and properly documented by the MTO. That was an eye opener. :lol:

Hi Adrianne,

Importing an SUV right now probably isn't cost effective... Canadian dollar is on the slide, travel expenses and deep discounts on SUV's locally mean that you would probably break even buying locally.

I spotted a 2003 Yukon for $7888 at a dealer north of Toronto a month or so ago in an ad. We were going to drop in and look at it but Wonderland and a trip to Simcoe got in the way. This was a high mileage vehicle but I wouldn't worry much about mileage on a Yukon/Tahoe/Suburban, especially as a third vehicle. Your biggest concern is body/accidents and evidence of proper maintenance.

I'll get the name of that dealer for you tonight when I'm back in Toronto - they specialize in SUV's, move a lot of inventory and are significantly cheaper than all the dealers local to me in London.

-Brian

Thanks, Brian. You hit the nail on the head about what we're concerned with. An odometer in the low-200k range is just fine, as long as it's been looked after and hasn't had major trauma. If it does 5k/yr with us, that'll be a surprise.

Hmm...north of Toronto, specializes in SUVs, odd "$_,888" number sounds familiar from last night's Auto Trader search. Do you mean Carline Automotive in Nobleton? That's the first place we're headed this afternoon.

if it was me i would be looking into a jeep grand cherokee. i thin those are trucks are a legend lots of power with the V8. they are pretty cheap to you can get that dodge truck in an suv i think check out focus auto group i think they have a few grand cherokee v8 just so we know how much does your boat weigh????