LabourDay Camping Report *PICS*

Reef Runner

Welcome all, welcome Fall.

Destination: Kaszuby, Ontario

August 28 to September 1, 2008

Left the Big Smoke on Thursday 28 August 2008 at approximately 10:00am. With the Civic packed to the T and two of my buddies along for the ride, it was gonna be a wheelwell rubbin' 315km drive to Kaszuby (Barry's Bay area). Made a stop in Peterborough to stretch and another in Bancroft, we arrived at our site at around 1:30pm, pretty good time.

As this camping trip was a little bit more rock n' roll than country, I'll share just what applies to the fishing and camping aspects. Needless to say we had more than enough fun, as I met up with my buddies Wiser and Wybrowa and held great conversation by the fire. ;)

We started setting up camp right away. I just bought an EZ tent, that had me in place before my friends could get there polls together. I helped them set up thier lairs and put up a tarp to catch the evening's forecast of rain. Check out the eavestrough, kept us dry.

camping002.jpg

camping003.jpg

After we set up shop and quick bite of some homemade fried chicken, I set up on the dock for some Yum Dinger tossin'. SKUNK for an hour, left.

The lake we camped on is called Wadsworth Lake; and while the scenery can't be beat IMO, the fishing :dunno: . I chatted up a local by the name of Lou, who was kind enough to load me up with some quality firewood and fishing advice. He said the fishing was "OFF" this year and not too many people have been having success. Only bait he uses is live frogs. If I didnt have any, he said, I should just stay home. Well it was too late for that...I have frog coloured yum dingers anyhow.

So, I drove into Combremere and tossed a couple off the dock there into the Madawaska River where I used to catch Pike, SMB, LMB and walleye when I was a kid. (Actually, back then there was no dock, just room under the bridge).

camping024.jpg

Again, SKUNK. I was recalling Lou's haunting memoir and was fearing the revelation.

Driving back into camp, unsatisfied, I made a stop to another place I used to wish when just a youngin'. A small bridge on Dam Lake, very shallow...but could always get lucky.

camping032.jpg

First cast, WGSF.

camping031.jpg

Stayed there for a bit enjoying the tugs from small pans, but they were too small to get on the hook. I went back to camp as I left Wisers all by his lonesome. we enjoyed another great evening of conversation.

Back at it on Saturday. I took off on all my friends and went for a solo trip. With less baggage and more mobile, I toured the area combing the GPS for water close to the road. I found a small lake, quiet with a couple of cottages on it away from the main road. A little sunny opening and reeds to the left and right of me, I tossed out the Yum Dingers and first cast my line goes sideways.

camping041.jpg

A little dink, very dark for a LMB I thought it was a small jaw at first. Caught a 5 or 6 more of roughly the same size. Here's one for ya centerpin enthusia

camping044.jpg

Was jonzing for a fish fry, so I said to myself "There's gotta be a bigger guy ion here somewheres" and sure enough, maybe 5 feet from shore on a short pause of ther Yum Dinger

camping051.jpg

She was released into the frying pan, filleted, sided with whole mushroom stuffed with garlic

camping052.jpg

camping053.jpg

Hope ya'll enjoyed the report. I'll leave you with a shot of the great beach from Wadsworth.

camping039.jpg

So long summer, now bring on the fall brutes.

Reefrunner

Thanks for the kind words guys. I did a little mushroom prospecting whilst out fishing. I did stumble upon some masczlacki (Polish word for them, don't know the English translation - slippery jack?). Suprisingly, with the amount of rain this year, I didnt find them in abundance as I can remember when I was a kid up there.