Florida Report part 2

bassman

Hey gang,

Just got back from my annual trip from FLA.

I spent last Thursday with a charter out of the Tampa area. Our target species was tarpon. We spent the first hour trying to find fish but had no luck so we took a run deeper into Tampa Bay. The guide stopped the boat when we came across a large school of black drum. He quickly rigged up a jig with a Gulp Saltwater crab bait. We spent the next 1/2 hour bringing in some 40-50lb hogs (see pic). We could have easily followed the school all day, but we decided to go after our target species.

We did manage to find a spot loaded with tarpon, but unfortunately, the fish had no interest in our artificial lures. We decided that our best option would be to deadbait some spanish mackerel. This method would definitely attract more than just tarpon, but we took our chances.

After 4 hours of deadbaiting, we hooked into:

2 x 100lb tarpon (none landed)

1 x bonnethead shark app. 3'

10-12 blacktip shark 3-4'

1 big freaking bull shark, app. 7-8' (snapped the line after a few exhilarating runs)

Anyways, if you your ever in the TB area and want to feel a good tug on your line, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with this local guide. Most tarpon guide are typically $500-700 for the day, but this guy charges $350.

Cheers

drum.JPG

GCD, I haven't met too many people on this board, but I definitely want to meet you. I wouldn't even talk fishing, I'd just make note of your 100's of one liners.

... actually it's thousands... six thousand and a few.

You know as well as most of us do that that Black Drum is too big to be held that way!

You shouldn't have posted the pic if you didn't want anyone to bring that to your attenion... but you knew that, hence your second post to this thread.

It is a very nice fish... and deserves more respect than that!