Cuban Vacation

Master of Bait

Just got back from a nice week-long getaway with my better half. Great trip and, unbelievably, great food at the Sol Cayo Santa Maria, on Cayo Santa Maria. I'd recommend it to anyone.

HUGE thanks for some detailed info provided by Crazyhook before my trip. His advice was very useful and helpful. Unfortunately, however, fishing opportunities were limited to the beach area and I only squeezed in a few short sessions during the trip. Other than some small stuff, I didn't beach anything significant.

BUT, I MUST SAY, TOPWATER BARRACUDA AT DUSK AND DAWN OFF THE BEACH IS UN-FREAKING-BELIEVABLE! I went 0 for 4 off the beach, including one that was inches from shore, but the rush of it all was still incredible. Poppers and Zara Spooks did the trick (almost). I think I'll up-size the hooks next time. I saw lots of fish, just couldn't close the door. It just went something like this...

Wade into the dark dusk/dawn ocean up to your belly, quiet, rolling waves, perfect wether, empty beach...

Cast out a country mile with a heavy saltwater top water lure....

Begin a frantic, super-fast, mad man, arm-aching retrieve across the surface of the water...

Whoosh/slurp! The silver/blue/grey back of a 10 lb cuda breaches the surface as the fish clobbers my lure from the side...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drag goes nuts!

Fight the fish for a few mins, some cool jumps, and... gone....

Ah well, not much I could do. Anyway, I met some fishing friends and there were some fish landed. Below are some pics for your enjoyment....

Bathroom view

cubaflorida018.jpg

Hermit crab

cubaflorida010.jpg

Balcony bird

cubaflorida034.jpg

Pool Crab

cubaflorida043.jpg

Wife @ Sunset

cubaflorida081.jpg

Cuban Tree Frog (by the pool)

cubaflorida087.jpg

Cuban Friend caught a red snapper...

cubaflorida027.jpg

...Which he gave to my wife and I...

cubaflorida028.jpg

...For a 3rd wedding anniversary lunch!

cubaflorida046.jpg

Young british buddy nails a cuda on a live baitfish, he doesn't want to touch it...

cubaflorida029.jpg

Fish went into the pan for some cubans

cubaflorida030.jpg

cubaflorida031.jpg

Also had a cuda brak us off on the paddle boat

cubaflorida056.jpg

All in all, despite catching fewer fish than I had hoped, the trip was FAN-TASTIC!

Cheers,

MoB