Evening On East Lake

Ramble

Well I was sitting around here last weekend, and a friend of mine I work with at Kesagami was sitting around Sudbury doing just as much as I was. So he decided to come down to a visit for a few days. We went out with the canoe the 1st full day and went down a tiny creek to the Moira river. It was an adventure that’s for sure. I wont go into details here but it was a blast. When we got to the Moira we did a bit of fishing and I managed to scare up a small pike and descent largie.

DSCN0413.jpg

DSCN0416.jpg

DSCN0418.jpg

As we chatted Sweet Pea…as he is known…informed me that he had never caught a largemouth bass. That didn’t sit to well with me so the next day after ripping around the country side we ended up in Prince Edward County at a favourite spot I know can hold numbers of largies, with some of a descent size now and then.

We were fishing the cattail clumps from canoe and were casting by about 5pm. I started of with a crank bait I know produces in the area, while I had him try a popper. I had three fish before he had one so I gave him my lure and I dug out another of the same style but with a different colour scheme.

DSCN0423.jpg

DSCN0425.jpg

We were into the fish after that. We found them to be concentrated on the shadier side of the cattails, however the wind had been blowing up against that side until it switched 180 degrees about 2 hours before we got their. We did find a couple off the windy side in the sun, but nothing like the shady side. Sweet Pea and I were having a blast and the wind died right off. This allowed us to hit a couple of cattail clumps that I normally dont have the urge to paddle too in the wind. There was fish there too.

DSCN0428.jpg

DSCN0426.jpg

DSCN0429.jpg

DSCN0430.jpg

DSCN0431.jpg

DSCN0432.jpg

DSCN0435.jpg

Before the sun went down and we paddled back, we had caught about 10 fish each. By-catch included 3 perch and 2 rock bass. We also had 1 pike as a follower and another shake loose. Neither were of any size.

DSCN0424.jpg

We also had a total of 4 double headers as well. Two were largies and 1 included a perch and a largie, while the other was a rock bass and a largie…we counted them anyway.

DSCN0436.jpg

We had a great time fishing, and couldn’t have asked for better conditions, it was a gorgeous evening. Everything went off without a hitch, if you over look his casting lol.

Nothing quite like a good fishing excursion with a good friend.

Tight Lines

-R-

DSCN0438.jpg

Nice pics. Some nice fish there. I grew up on East Lake. Know it very well. Was trying to figure out where you were. Have three ideas, but won't tell don't worry. Don't forget to go through the outlet to get some gems as well. Then it's just a wet foot to the sandbanks!!!