lake Erie Report

Lakeshore

I had a chance to fish with a good friend today. We launched from Port Maitland this morning at 7 am.

Since i am not that familiar (newbie) concerning Lake Erie, I decided to take the suggestions of owner of the boat and go to spot that had been productive before.

We headed out from Port and went out to a location near or around the "Gas Wells", probably familiar to some of you (White posts floating out several; miles from shore).

I'll try to do my best with the details. 80 FOW, 35-50FT down, 2 riggers, 175', and 200' back from ball. Worm harnesses, double bladed, copper color and rainbow pattern.

2 rods, lead core, out to an approximate depth of 32-37'.

Today the wind was out of the west, some swells, 2-4 ft deep. I am usually very good on boats, but today got real "sea sick", lasted four hours on chips and water.

Didn't get a single bite, nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

Did I do something wrong??? I would appreciate feedback. I know that everyone gets skunked sooner or later, but I just want to make sure that I didn't make a rookie mistake, and could have saved a good day.

ErieAug27002.jpg

ErieAug27001.jpg

Just some pics of the water and weather conditions

In erie, I usually have better luck closer to the bottom this time of year, down 65 and 75, and you don't need that long of a lead, sometimes under 10ft works well, dipsey seem to produce more than downriggers though, good report and better luck next time, gotta love that lake erie chop

I've done well with worm tipped spinners and small spoons.

Out on a charter a couple of years ago. We caught 21 walleye in about 3 hours.

Only 2 or 3 came off the riggers. The rest were on dipseys. The same green and orange spoon took

more than half the fish, including 7 bows and about 20 - 25 sheepshead.

35 to 50 feet down was the magic depth, but that was @ the end of July.

Don't be scared to kick the speed up a notch too.

If you don't find a school of fish, it won't matter what you do.