building a web site

grt1

For quite some time now the association I'm the president of has wanted a web site to inform our constituents but it was always cost prohibitive since we are all volunteers and don't have a large bank account.

I was talking about this to a friend in Thunder Bay and he pointed me in the direction of a web hosting site and when it all boiled down I could register our domain name for 2 years for about 75 dollars and get a web site hosted for 2 years for 92 dollars. This is in our budget area so I proceeded to try and get it started.

Once I got the domain name registered I had to try and build the site. My friend in Thunder Bay suggested doing the FTP thing. I guess this way you have to copy then paste the files you want on your site. It seemed easy to do until I watched the demo video that was on thesite I was going to put my web site on.

I was just playing with the site when the phone rang and it was the firm I had registered with, calling from Arizona asking me if I had any questions and needed any help, talk about good timing.

This fellow helped me work through some of the problems I was having and suggested that maybe I should have bought into a program they have that helps create the site through the use of templates. He checked the cost of it and it worked out to be 2 dollars cheaper than what I had signed up for.

So with the weather being crappy up here in Red Lake I spent most of my time playing around on this site and getting something going for the weekend.

When all was said and done, I got the site up, it looks ok but doesn't have all the information on it yet but at least I broadened my knowledge of the web and web site management.

If you have a cottage in the unorganized area of Northern Ontario and are unsure of the way the new Provincial Land Tax reform will affect your taxes, check out my site. it has a breakdown of what you can expect to pay in 2009 . This information was provided by the Ministry of Finance in sessions across the north.

www.dokura.com

good job on taking the initiative to learn something new. I have no idea how to build a website at all, other than very limited experience with the program dreamweaver. I've been wanting to dabble into creating a website for some time, but never actually get the motivation for it. Sounds like the company you hosted through is very helpful. Great work!

The beauty of the web is that it is easy to "look under the covers" to see what others have done. Select "view" "page source" whenever you see a web page that contains an element that you'd like to mimic. All the HTML is there for the taking. B)

The beauty of the web is that it is easy to "look under the covers" to see what others have done. Select "view" "page source" whenever you see a web page that contains an element that you'd like to mimic. All the HTML is there for the taking. B)

Just be careful not to take any coding that is unique enough to be copyright violation. It is a good way to learn. You can also download free templates from the net all over the place. Go to www.webmonkey.com to learn lots about web design.