Lakes treated like a 'toilet'

Spiel

Lakes treated like a 'toilet'

August 05, 2008

Shawn Jeffords, Sarnia Observer

The practice of freighters dumping waste cargo on the U.S. side of the Great Lakes is causing lasting harm and has to stop, environmentalists and local politicians say.

Though the practice of “cargo sweeping” is against the law, it is not enforced by the U.S. Coast Guard and hasn’t been for 70 years.

As a result, 550 tons of coal, limestone, iron ore and taconite are dumped into the lakes every year by cargo ships, a coalition of environmental groups say.

“I don’t think people living on the Great Lakes think we need weaker environmental laws,” said Mark Mattson, president of Lake Ontario Waterkeeper. “This is a real threat to our lakes.”

The U.S. Coast Guard has called for feedback on its current policy of not enforcing the law, and the environmental groups plan to respond by September.

The group includes the National Wildlife Federation, Lake Ontario Waterkeeper, Great Lakes United and Alliance for the Great Lakes,

Mattson said cargo sweeping is so widespread that a “highway” of debris now litters the bottom of Lake Ontario.

Some deposits are coal and iron ore, which in turn contain mercury. Shipping companies must take responsibility for the waste they create, he said.

“We can’t go back any further despite the fact that business might find this to be a cheap alternative to doing this onshore, where they probably have to dispose of this stuff properly.”

Sarnia Mayor Mike Bradley said the coalition should be encouraged.

“Why we allow the Great Lakes to be treated like a toilet bowl I don’t know,” he said.

The shipping industry has fallen on hard times and keeping its health and the environment in balance must be a priority, the mayor added.

“Defending the Great Lakes is like being in a constant war. The more pro-active things we do, the better.”

Sarnia-Lambton MP Pat Davidson said the practice risks the introduction of more invasive species like zebra mussels. The Harper government has spent a “great deal” of money on Great Lakes clean up and it doesn’t want to see setbacks, she said.

“I can’t imagine that we would not be in support of banning this. It’s illegal to do in Canada and I think it should be illegal in the States as well.”