carp gear

James007

hey guys, just joined this not too long ago. I am interested in getting some carp fishing gear. anyone know where i can get it for cheap?, not looking for top of the line stuff, as i am a beginner i just want some decent gear, someone told me i could use my float fishing gear for carp but i wanna get into the baitrunner reels and what type of rod do i need? any sugestions is appreciated guys thanks.

Most likely you already have gear suitable enough to land carp. I've used my float rods and heavier salmon/steelhead rods for years and landed fish to 36lbs+ with them. I've used reels without baitrunners for years and backed the drag off enough to simulate the free-spool nature of the baitrunner function.

Personally I'd recommend not skimping out on a decent baitrunner if you choose to go that route. I'd stick with Shimano or Daiwa. The Baitrunner function allows line to peel off the spool during the first run. A malfunctioning baitrunner can lead you to losing your rod + reel + anything else attached (Like a rod pod + bite alarms - I've seen these go into the drink too because of a malfunctioning baitrunner). A smooth drag is also important for fighting large carp.

Hope this helps.

hey guys, just joined this not too long ago. I am interested in getting some carp fishing gear. anyone know where i can get it for cheap?, not looking for top of the line stuff, as i am a beginner i just want some decent gear, someone told me i could use my float fishing gear for carp but i wanna get into the baitrunner reels and what type of rod do i need? any sugestions is appreciated guys thanks.

I am new to carp fishing too and just use my trout rod along with my spinning real.

i use 6lb test line.

# 6 Laser hooks

Bread with corn or peanut butter

and keep an eye on that line and rod.

Hang on brother, cause when u hook into a big one, you will wonder why u never went after these "bottom feeders" before.

This board has been a great source of info for a novice like me.

Good luck and post lots of pics when u get em.

Splashhopper

Before I was fortunate to have been given a 11 ft. carp rod and a baitrunner reel I used a 7 ft ugly stick and a an old saltwater Zebco spinning reel (thanks CPH) which had a large capacity spool...

To hold it in place I pounded a horseshoe pitching stake in the ground and place a 3 ft pvc pipe over it then stuck the handle of the rod into the pipe...then loosened off the drag a lot...

I purposely let a carp run with the rod still in the holder to see if it could pull it out...nope...not a chance in hell... :thumbsup_anim:

PM sent