chillin in binbrook

modny

hit up binbrook with the old man today around 11-3

wind was comin heavy outta the SW

put the canoe in the water, hugged the shoreline and took her all the way near the back and made 1 LOOONG drift all the way back towards the launch.

we landed about 70 crappie. ended up keeping around 35. not too big, but the numbers were there.

we drifted 8th oz tube jigs. pink and blue with white tails, both salted. not a piece of worm at all

fish were suspended about 5-8 feet down. occasionally when the wind would pick up and raise the jigs by drifting faster we often got double headers

we fish real light tackle too ( UL st croix and uglystick microspin) with small reels and loose drag, some of these fish were lil scrappers.

it was a good afternoon, and we ended it off nice with a sweet fish fry ( after the 1 hour it took for me to cealn those darn fish hahah)

P7120224.jpg

P7120225.jpg

P7120228.jpg

Edited by Micropterus hole

what are u looking to catch? and where are u fishing?

there isn't much structure to be found in the middle of the lake just casting cranks.

u can catch large mouth bass in the 2-3 lb range fishing off the rock wall area. it goes from like 5-20 feet instantly so the bass hang out on the ledge there.. i would try cranks there..

dont bother with worms, unless u want carp or catfish.

u might even hook into some pike maybe.

ok just went to wal mart to try and pick up some pink tubes but they had none, ill try and find a bte store on my way there tomorrow and try it out any special instruction or just hook it - bobber cast and wait...?

thanks

i guess u are shore fishing..

i know bills bait and tackle on upper james carries small 1.5 inch tubes..

or if u are down the mountain, fishing worlds bait shop opens at 5 am..

cut a length of 3 feet off ur line, connect this to a barrel swivel, and connect to ur main line. tie the jig directly to ur line.

cast out, out to 10, jig it up 2 times and let fall counting to 5. repeat.

the crappie there are often suspended, and they will hit the tube as it falls, so dont let ur line slack, be ready for a lite strike

also, i think the bottom is pretty flat, so u could cast out, wait til the tube hits bottom and reel it in, twitching it small very slow.. this will also produce nice calico's

thanks for getting back i actually did get the tube from fishing word down towm - but had no luck i was trying with a slip float - i wish iw ould of read your reply before ehading out but ill try that next time...

i just posted details of the trip:

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry226259

have a look tell me what you think

sorry one rmoe question

so if i am understnading ure suggested rig your sayin

main line -> barrel swivel -> 3 feet line -> hook with tube

what is the purpose of the swivel - and what abotu weights....how will you get a decent cast out with no weights specailly if your gonna have 3feet of line danglling when you cast... thanks man!

Edited by Hamilton_Lad

Guest Johnny Bass

Nice! Never seen so many white crappies. I don't think I have ever caught one. I would imagine they taste like black crappie. Thanks for sharing.