Semi new angler, need help getting started again.

Trax416

Alright sounds good.

For my reel it says under "line rating" 4-12lb.

I figured that meant the maximum and minimum line I could use with it. Didn't know I could use 20lb.

Braided line is much thinner than mono for the same line strength. For example, 30 pound power pro is about the same diamter as 8 pound mono.

I like braided lines for a few reasons...

1) No stretch (mono has quite a bit of stretch), enables you to detect hit more easily

2) If you fish in weedy areas, you dont have to worry as much about line break..the line will just rip thru those weeds.

3) Smoother casting. Braided line wont "coil" up on you because it has no "memory" when it's on the spool.

Others prefer mono line, for their own reasons, but for me, for casting and retrieving, braid is what I prefer. For jigging I actually like mono line...it's less visible in the water and I don't have to cast with it.

Good luck! Hope to see a fish filled report soon!

If you're looking for an alternative to both braided and mono, try out some copolymer line.

I bought it a while back and put it on my rod only a couple weeks ago. Before that I had just been using Trilene low vis. Green mono in 8lb.

The copolymer is much stronger than that mono, but wont break the bank like some braided lines. Easy to use, holds knots well, and little memory so far. The one thing I found though, is that initially it had a lot of line twist, only for the first day really and this might have been how I spooled it. anyways all I did to correct it was let all the line out behind (no lure attached) then reel it in through the resistance of the water. (Im sure this could also be done along a bank).

Here is a link to the kind I have, 10lb test has shown little abrasion or colour fading, and I can cast it a mile!

http://www.p-line.com/product_detail.php?id=602

Edited by freshwaterfanatic

Thanks for all the info.

I will pick up some braided line, maybe one of each type and see how I like them.

I am going to be moving about 2 minutes walking distance from cooks bay in a month, so hopefully there is some good fishing there.

Thanks again for the help guys.