Shimano carbomax

Reef Runner

Hello,

Last weekend I noticed that the tip of my regular spinning outfit had been seriously damaged somehow and kept slicing my braid. I was too busy during the week to go get her replaced and now the weekend is upon me and I'm short a spinning rod.

Now I know the old saying "you get what you paid for" but I'm looking to grab a cheap, decent temporary rod to pair up with my Shimano sedona 5000rb with 20# pp. I'll have time to stop into LeBaron's on the way up North and was looking through their flyer to notice that Shimano's Carbomax 7foot medium/fast is on sale (CMS70M2).

Anybody own one of these rods? Opinions?

Thanks in advance,

reefrunner

Guest Johnny Bass

I picked one up at Lebaron on special for $30. It was the first baitcaster and one piece rod, I ever picked up. For a cheap rod it served me well and caught tons of fish with it. Was really sad when I stepped on it and broke it. Good rod!

I use a 6'6" medium Carbomax for all my jigging for pickeral. Probably not the finest jigging rod out there, but I like the feel of it (or at least I have developed a feel for the rod) and I think you'll really find it's good value for the money. Andy

Was in the LeBaron's Woodbine store last night and they have all three sizes of the Carbomax in stock. They were $24 each. I was tempted to pick up an ultralight for a spare but didn't - may go back.

The LeBaron's in Mississauga was clean out of the 7" and 6"6. They did have two 5"6" ULs left but wasn't in need of one. So I spent double what I came in for and bought a Fenwick Canadian Methods 7" med. Oh, and some more tackle. lol. Isn't that always the case? hahaha

PS.The rod worked well for me this weekend

I've had a 7' med carbomax for over 10 years now. I picked it up used from my uncles buddy for $10. I used to use it as a jerk bait (husky jerk) rod fishing for pike mainly in simcoe, and even for casting spoons and spinners for salmon. I don't use it much anymore, but it does somehow find its way into my rotation at some point during the year. It's a great rod for the money.

They're much like the Izumi series rods. At least the one I have. I won one in an online photoderby thingy once. It's OK... served me OK. I like having it around, it's a 6'6" medium spinning rod and it does feel much like my old Izumi rod of the same. That old rod just bagged me 10 pike over 40 inches while I ran 30lb braid on a Symetre reel so I think it'll work for ya in a pinch dood.