3 days of "fishing" the Maitland

I was fortunate to have 4 days off, and was hoping to have some luck for the bass opener on the Maitland river.

The river was up a good two - three feet from two weeks ago but was FULL OF GRASS! :wallbash:

I was bottom bouncing, jigging, anything to keep my bait/lures down to the bottom, where I thought the fish might be, to no avail. <_<

I fished the slow deep holes.

I fished the back end of the runs.

I fished the bottom of the falls.

NOTHING on the Maitland.

So, i headed down to the Bayfield river and caught some small bass and nice catfish near the #21 bridge.( in chocolate milk water of all things :huh: )

My questions are:

1: Does all the grass in the water play havock with the fish's gills?

2: And where would they try to hide from the grass , if not on the bottom?

Thanks

Splashhopper

Edited by splashhopper

When the water's high and there's crap floating around the fish will move to slack water areas, usually close to shore.

yep, I tried that too.. as i am a shore fishermen. no boat for me yet <_<

No luck.

anyone else got any ideas for me to try next time?

I was on both those rivers today and no grass in the Bayfield or fish either.... Maitland was dirty so went off the south pier where the water was clear and fishing wasn't any better. I believe the north wind ruined the fishing today for some reason.

I agree that for the fish in the river when it gets muddy and the grass is flying down it the fish will pool in slack areas, however it has been in my limited experience pure luck to get fish in those conditions because you basically have to hit the fish with your offering so they can find it. Dirty water also does seem to slow down their feeding on those two rivers. If the water is too clear though it is EVEN worse LOL. Nothing will ruin your day more than seeing 100 or more HUGE fish doing circles IGNORING YOUR offerings. Sadly the same is also true of steelhead in the same spots.

I was on both those rivers today and no grass in the Bayfield or fish either.... Maitland was dirty so went off the south pier where the water was clear and fishing wasn't any better. I believe the north wind ruined the fishing today for some reason.

I agree that for the fish in the river when it gets muddy and the grass is flying down it the fish will pool in slack areas, however it has been in my limited experience pure luck to get fish in those conditions because you basically have to hit the fish with your offering so they can find it. Dirty water also does seem to slow down their feeding on those two rivers. If the water is too clear though it is EVEN worse LOL. Nothing will ruin your day more than seeing 100 or more HUGE fish doing circles IGNORING YOUR offerings. Sadly the same is also true of steelhead in the same spots.

Yep, that North wind is also a fishing killer too. :wallbash:

I was thinking of going up to a spot on the Teeswater river and Greenock swamp areas for some bass or muskie this weekend.

Have you had any luck in those areas Canuckfan?

Splashhopper

I only fish Bayfield, Maitland and Nine Mile on Lake Huron.... Never have enough time off to go any further working 6 days a week LOL.

I even drove up to PT Albert for a "look see" off the highway, and then i also "saw" the NO Trespassing signs.

Do those signs mean we cannot walk PAST those signs but but still have acceess before them?