A day on the Grand

Garry2Rs

Back in 2001 I spent a lot of time fishing on the Lower Grand River for Walleye.

A few weeks ago when Albert, the Home Town Handyman and I got together after he had washed off the Beans...grin...I was reminiscing about the nice fish I had caught in that area.

Last weekend was Father's Day and I was down in Stoney Creek to visit with my kids.

Since I was going to be in the neighbourhood, I dropped a dime on Home-Town and set up a day of fishing on the Grand.

We decided to GTG on Thursday morning. After a quick pit-stop at Tim's for coffee we headed south to the river.

We trolled out to the mouth at Port Maitland and spoke to some minnow jiggers who were bouncing around in the surf just outside the light house break wall. They said they had a couple, and we discussed buying minnows and joining them...but opted to continue trolling.

A few minutes later Albert slimmed his new boat for the first time.

AlbertattheGrand005.jpg

Halfway to Dunnville we were stopped and inspected by a very pleasant OPP officer then allowed to go on our way. The skies were constantly threatening and there were brief light showers, but the "Real Rain" never found us. By the time we reached the dam we were ready for lunch and a stretch. The Grand Island BBQ provided food and a Specialty Coffee that renewed us. It started to rain a little harder as we shoved off again to troll the area in front of the dam, but the rain soon blew over.

There were three guys anchored in front of the spillway that were catching Channel Cat's one after another.

A few people were fishing from shore, and we saw a couple of fish caught but couldn't tell what species they were.

We spoke to several other boaters, all of whom claimed to have "a couple."

The new Humminbird was marking scores of fish in the area below the dam. We had several hits that might have been Walleye, but our catch was limited to about six Sheephead, one OOS Sm. Bass, and a Clam...

AlbertattheGrand006.jpg

We quit at sundown and headed back in Mount Hope where I was treated to a dinner of spareribs on the BBQ.

I'd like to thank Albert for a great day on the water with enjoyable company.

To bad we didn't find the Walleyes, but I'd like to try again when I get down to the Big Smoke again.

Albert was a wonderful host and didn't throw me over board, so I'm glad to report that the dunking of fishing partners isn't an on going tradition...HAHAHA.

Garry2R's

Sheesh, you throw ONE guy overboard and it sticks with you the rest of your life.......

A good time was had by all although Garry did have the highest fish count, however I won the clam count! :lol::thumbsup_anim::thumbsup_anim:

Getting pulled over by the OPP was a good experience as it showed me that the boat prep was done properly, something I was not sure about.