meta lake lodge

oxcowboy

hi,

my cousin just told me today that his group has booked a stay with meta lake lodge. its a fly-in just outside of nakina. none of his crew has ever been, so i told him that i would try to find some info for him other than what the web page has.

has anybody ever stayed there? how is the fishing? any particular lures to take for pike? any info would be great. thanks for any input.

jason

Never fished Meta, but stayed at an outpost camp on Ara lake in July of /06.

Most of the guys from Meta were travelling through the narrows to Ara to fish while I was there.

Ara is much deeper and clearer in comparison to Meta, it's a very beautiful lake.

Pike fishing wasn't the greatest (lots of small stuff), but walleye fishing was phenominal.

If I can find it I've got a map of the lake somewhere marked with the spots I found, I'll see if I can dig it up.

(Might be tough though, I'm moving next week and everything's packed in boxes already :) )

thanks solo. if ya can find it great, if not i understand completely. my cousins group really want a big pike, so they may be disapointed but who can complain with great walleye fishing. lol

thanks again,

jason

Jason, I pulled up Ara lake on Toporama and (very crudely :) ) marked 3 very good spots for walleye.

Here's the map:

AraLake.gif

As you enter Ara from Meta there's 2 obvious main lake points, one on the south and one on the north that have shoal areas extending out from them. I've marked this spot #2. This spot is marked with jugs by the lodge and is a known hotspot.

Spot #1 is a little harder to find, but it's there. It's a mid lake shoal surrounded by deeper water.

This was a very good spot that no one else was fishing.

I'll guess that Meta Lake lodge will have depth maps of all the lakes (I'd call ahead to confirm).

This shoal is shown on that map...that's how I found it.

Spot #3 was also amazing. As you can see there's a small island just above the area I circled.

In actuality there's a couple of small islands side by side.

The times I fished that spot there was a N/W wind. I'd start our drift close to the western most island and drift S/E past the 2 islands towards another small rockpile which also isn't shown.

This was a very long, very productive drift. We had a couple of huge # days at this spot.

All we used was 3" twister tails and 1/4 oz heads tipped with half a worm.

Because the water was so clear in Ara, white twister tails with a hot pink jig head worked best for us.

Pumpkin/Orange was also good.

Cheers, Mike