The walleye will bite again

Spiel

The walleye will bite again

June 14, 2008

Terry Curtis / northumberlandtoday.com

What happened to our walleye bite? After such a good start to the season, I guess we got spoiled. And with good reason, I'd say. After all, the first weeks of the season were the best they've been in years and we thought it would continue for a bit longer.

Boy, did the anglers in the Bewdley Firefighter's Walleye

Tournament get a shock last weekend, though. That hot weather pattern that rolled in turned the fish right off, just the opposite of what we thought would happen. Many teams had trouble getting any kind of bite at all and Ed (the Old Coot) Baker and I struggled to get 10 hits and land eight fish, let alone try to put together enough weight to cash a cheque. That sure didn't happen, but we weren't

alone by any means. Some teams only had one or two fish all day, while others had several hits but couldn't find the right size walleye to weigh in due to the new size regulations.

Oh, well. It was still a good tournament and it grew again this year in numbers of teams entered, which is key to keeping it going. I sure plan to fish it again next year.

Do I think the walleye will turn the bite back on again? You bet your boots I do!

There are so many walleye in Rice Lake right now, all competing for food, it can't help but happen. Every walleye I filleted last week had no food at all in its stomach and everyone else I spoke to who cleaned fish noticed the same thing. They've got to eat soon!

If you're wondering why we were looking for their stomach contents, it's because we wanted to see what they were dining on so we could try to match our lures to whatever they were consuming. Personally, I had the best luck on perch-coloured crankbaits and plastic body baits that looked like actual tiny perch. That's what they had been eating up until just a few days before the tournament, so it made sense to go with them.

While I]m on the topic of the tournament, the Bewdley Firefighters Association is trying to raise money for a new rescue boat which is needed to cover the waters at the west end of Rice Lake when an emergency occurs in that area. To help them out I've given them a free voucher for a four-hour bass fishing trip on Rice Lake so they can sell tickets on it to help make some money for them. As soon as I get the details how they're

going about selling them, where they'll be available and how much they cost, I'll pass the scoop on to you. Hopefully, lots of folks will spend a few dollars to help them raise some boat money. Keep an eye on this column for more information shortly.

Are you getting the itch for bass season to open? I know I sure am!

I've got my gear all ready for the big day two weeks from this Saturday and I plan on being on

the water at daybreak, chasing those suckers all day long.

I like catching all species of fish but, overall, I'd have to say bass are the most exciting for me; I never tire of catching them. Day or night, good weather or bad, I don't care. Wind me up and turn me loose!

Here's a tip for this week. Stock up on plastic baits now if you want to save some money. As petroleum prices keep rising, so will the costs of making baits and you know for sure we'll have to fork out more loot to the manufacturers as their costs rise as well. Anything made of plastic such as tubes, worms, etc. is going cost a bit more, so buy them now. In bulk quantities if you can. Hey, with the cost of boat fuel these days you have to save where you can, right?

One more thing before I leave for this week.

Last week, I said I was going to put a revenge whupping on Steve Scowcroft in the tournament and I bet you want to know how it went, eh? All I can say is it wasn't a real whupping, just enough to earn bragging rights again. Sorry, Scowy, but revenge sure is sweet!