fishing/paddling the grand

sash

hey guys

haven't been out on the water much and when i did get out the line has barely been in the water but i decided to take a lazy paddle which i knew would leave more time 4 fishin :thumbsup_anim: .

we headed to the oxbow of the grand and 1st scouted the take out under newport bridge just outside brantford before we headed to the put in under the cockshutt bridge. loaded up the canoe and set off, it was a great trip with a couple of swifts at the start followed by mostly flat water after, the curent moved u along with barely a need to paddle except to keep u in the part of the river u prefer.

1st we came across catfish using flourescent orange spinners and bottom bouncer combos with a worm in the 1st part of the flatwater, much later down the river i caught what i believe was a mooneye which was about 10" or so. now i have no experience with either of these fish and was hoping to catch a pike or walleye.

there were plenty of people fishing from shore aswell as canoes and kayaks passing us as we floated down watching the herons and other birds. total paddle time was maybe 30 - 45 mins and float time was like 5 hrs a very enjoyable trip, great for novices. the walk back to the car took maybe 15 mins and i believe it is 1.5km or so.

sorry but the cell phone was buried in my pack wrapped in 2 ziplocs just in case i decided to go for a swim so no pics but the catfish were really small not even a couple of pounds which brings me to asking if anyone can tell me if the catfish get anybig in that section and if there are pike and walleye in that area any tips would help too as that was my 1st experience on the grand and with catfish too.

Guest Johnny Bass

Sounds like a day well spent. Thanks for sharing.

I am not familiar with the area so cant help you in regards to species. I'll bump the post. Maybe somebody else will chime in.

i looked at some pics it was a catfish, forked tail and it did have specks on it, as i floated past a guy on a lawnchair fishing i asked how his day was going and he replied nothing but cats...too bad the current pushed me by with only enought time for the 1 exchange.....i guess i could have paddled a bit to try to get some more info but that sounds too much like my other trips.....it was so nice to just float along.

Edited by al lee