Bass Fishing SW ON (Erie, Grand River)

keigan

I just pulled my dusty boxes, rod and reel out after several years hiding in a closet. It's time to get back on the water. But where to begin? I'm in Brantford, which has a snaking section of the Grand river running through it, and is a short drive from Waterford Ponds, Pinehurst Resort and Lake Erie. Those are the spots I remember fishing as a kid. What I'm wondering, as I dust off my unused bass lures, is if there are other good spots to fish in the area, where the good spots on the Grand and Erie shores might be (no boat) and what they like to eat in those locations. Anyone fish in my area? Let me know!

Guest Johnny Bass

Those are all great places to try and the Grand is great anywhere you fish it. Give it a try and let us know how you made out. Good Luck.

I've never found a spot on the Grand in Brantford that wasn't full of bass. You should do well there.

Download Google Earth and find ponds and small lakes in the area for bass fishing. They've all got bass in them.

I fish near Caledonia. Good basses (average size 600g-1kg) under Caledonia railway bridge (in deep water) using cranckbaits (fats), spoons and medium/heavy rod. The line is Cajun mono 10Lb. Also down from Caledonia to York for smaller sizes using spinners/jigs and ultra light equipment. Jig will be more effective than spinner, but it's not as sporty as the last one (easy to get a bite). If you don't have so much experience using spinning rod, use plastic twisters kinda light-brown colour and medium jig heads. If very shallow water - light head. Colour of the head is not very important. Be careful, there are some huge catfish under the railway bridge; adjust the reel brake properly.

My ultralight rod equiped with just 4lb mono line. It's good enough for 3-5lb walleye (they are not good fighters during a day time). They may be found in some deeper holes under Caledonia. There are not so many pikes (rarely small gar pikes); therefore, you do not need to use a steel feeder.

Good luck

I hear good things about Caledonia. Had good action on light spinners in the Grand in Paris @ Willow St. Skunked @ Waterford Ponds & Mill Pond (Jenkins Rd. & Brant Mill Rd.) with live worms, spinners, spinnerbaits, topwaters, etc. Anyone else know any spots in Brant County/Norfolk area?