Stoney Lake Saturday Report

ozaibak1

This report is for the day of Saturday May 24. I've been on vacation for the last 2 weeks, and upon return to Toronto couldnt wait to go fishing the following weekend. Just before I left I got a cough that developed into sickness on my 13 hour nonstop flight back from hell. So Wed Thurs called in sick but by the end of Thurs I was getting better and planning on working Fridaye, but my fishing buddy called to tell me he had taken Friday off. Now I think the best cure for any illness is fishing, so I took another sick day on Friday, and my vacation got turned into a 3 week one that was capped off with some fishin, and left to LoveSick camp sit Friday morning.

This was my first fishing outing this year, and I go to my favorite lake, the jewel of the kawarthas aka Stoney Lake. Really wanted to catch walleye, and we set out looking for weed beds but none were visible to the naked eye we had no fish finders. Spent about an hour lookin for walleyes, which I spotted in the shallows. Jigging was unsuccessful using black 1/8oz black jigs on 4" black twister tail, as well as pink.

We go to another spot, and are about to leave when my friend spots a walleye dart away in the shallows. This area had a rock shelf and was in between two larger islands, with some weed growth. I've had success for large fish in these areas in the past that break faster water into calmer water so we decided to fish it.

Well we decided to fish for perch, so we went to some Yamamotos. These have landed me large numbers of bass in the past, although that is not what we were fishing for. What amazes me about them is that they are just as good at catching perch. And did we ever get into perch.

1pm, sun is at a very high point, its hot, and we're scoring perch all over the place on 3.5 inch twister tailed senkos, we definately got enough for the fire. These perch were very active and pretty big too, wish I took camera on the water but we had about 4 that were in the pound range. Also caught and released two nice largies over a pound. Of about 25 fish caught using these twister tails (we used watermelon green with black flecks, watermelon green with red flecks) and some solid chunks of yamamoto worm, 20 were perch 3 were sunfish and 2 were bass.

Once we left that spot, we spent the rest of the day looking for it because finding good weed growth at this time was very hard without a finder, that one and half hours fishing the honey hole more than made up for it though! Looking forward to bassing Stoney or Lower Buckhorn later this June.

Perch-002web.jpg

Perch-004web.jpg