another gps question

bow slayer

I am looking at buying a unit (hand held) that will do me both on the water and for driving on the roads. Today I seen a very small garmin that was bundled as being both,can't remember the name of the package but it sold for about 400 bucks at CTC. Anyone have any suggestions for one?

Would help if you had the model number and what was included in the package. $400 seems a bit high unless the "package" includes detailed maps or bluecharts. Also depends on the model.

You can buy a decent unit (example eTrex Legend HCX) for less than $200. Comes with a basemap and autorouting capability. Should you need more detailed maps they can be purchased and loaded to microSD cards. Garmin nomenclature is as follows - H = high sensitivity receiver, C = colour display and X = expandable memory (microSD). If your primary use is on open water the high sensitivity receiver is not required. Ditto for the expandable memory if you don't have any plans to loads lots of maps (even the basic units offer some level of internal memory).

WHATEVER YOU DO - do not consider a Magellan of any model.

Check out www.radioworld.ca for an idea of what is available from Garmin. They have an eTrex Legend CX PLUS that includes the unit, 64mb microSD card, detailed maps and dash mount for $230. I doubt what you see from CTC is anywhere close to this package/value.

Good luck and WHATEVER YOU DO - do not consider a Magellan of any model. :lol: