fishin in the back yard

jwl

Just got back this evening from a couple days at my trailer..Headed off Sunday night when the wife got off work to get in a couple days of R&R for something to do. We like to get as much use out of our trailer as we can for the year.

Got there about 11pm Sunday, unpacked got squared away at camp..put the little one to bed,she is the only one of the kids that came up with us this time..usually the older girls have no prob missing a couple days of school to go to the trailer, but this time there was some stuff going on at school they didn't want to miss.hmm teenage girls...go figure :dunno::P . So, some quiet time for me and the wife to sit by the fire for a few brews.

Woke up Monday morning to a bit of crap weather and some chop brewing on the lake so decided to get a couple things done, run some errands in town for a bit and see what the day brought on before gearing the tinner up to check out a couple spots on the water, and the debate on putting my dock in, I decided the water was a bit to cold still so opted just to put the dock in next time :whistling: The tinner doesn't really require the dock so to speak, and we didn't have the biggerboat up there so no big deal on that for a few more days until I head up again.

While just puttering around camp, I decided to have a little been of fun, and just for grins I decided to grab a Laker Light and my ultra lite and have some action lite. Fortunately just have to go off the patio, go down about 6-7 steps and fish right in the back yard (where my dock should be :lol: ) for a few casts. Took these pics just for kicks cuz these where the lightest ones I could get.

Rockbass Light

319181823.jpg

Pumpkinseed Light

319181822.jpg

Bluegill Light

319181821.jpg

It was fun just goofing around with the ultralite combo,and I was laughing at myself for actually setting out to try and get some little fish on purpose.

Well that was enough of that goofing around and I decided I was putting the boat stuff together anyways...went and grabbed all the stuff out of the shed, loaded up the tinner, pushed it in the water off the little A-Frame I made up for it and off I went on the search. Found a couple spots had way too many smallies so I decided to do some travelling around, without much avail other than a snot rocket and a couple smallies, I headed back to camp, I pull close to shore with the boat, go to tilt up the motor and the cover pops off on me..I am thinking hey what the heck :dunno: , after a quick look I realize that the latch part that snaps down the back of the motor cover had fallen off....hmm?? that's a big bummer, I made sure to take out the washers, the hook for the latch and the bolt so they wouldn't get lost, or wind of dang up my starter or flywheel...and now I am stuck with a little problem....where the frig do I find that part for my ole Evinrude 9.9 I use on my tinner??????. Has nothing to do with the way the motor runs or anything..but still would like to fix it for sure or at leats cover the hole up so water don't get into the top..other than I gotta change the sparkplugs next time I go up, that motor has ran like a champ..not bad for a 1976 motor..but being a 1976 motor that where I wonder if and where I can even get that piece for it...not in the market quite yet for a new motor for that boat....already got 2 boats..well 3 if ya count our old 12 footer tinner that the kids now use for a row boat..and a trailer...if I mentioned buying a new motor for the 14 footer I better have enough coin left over for a bullet proof vest cuz the wife will probbaly want to shoot me next.

Yesterday got up got a couple things done at camp and ran pout to see if the bait store had any big chubs . I was in luck, grabbed a couple dozen and headed back to the lake, decided to try my luck in the back yard while BBQing soem grub...got my heavy action rod out, a big float, set it all up casted it out and left the bail open while I walked up to the patio to check out the food. I am watching my float when I can see some action..my bobber starts to jump around like my bait is getting a bit nervous about something...then sure enough it goes zinging out, I ran over and grabbed the rod...closed the bail as my line got tightened up then manged to nail this hungry little guy

319181820.jpg

stopped for a quick dinner break, then headed out again to give it another shot and it worked!!!!

319186330.jpg

319181923.jpg

Had I know that I was now officialy on one of the teams for the contest, I am sure this would have been a welcome addition for the team.....don't worry I am heading back there in a couple days ;) and this time I will bring a logo with me.

Not to worry about that fish for the other teams though, that one got a different kind of CPR.......Cut,Prep and Refrigerate.

319181921.jpg

A few minutes after that I lost a hog, I am guessing a 20lber anyways, it took my float down in one foul swoop and left a huge swirl in it's place...I battled it for a bit and it busted me off at the hook.

Quickly went and grabbed a hook and set myself up again..few minutes later my float goes down again,had this been in about a month this would have made a good go at 'er for the team as well...I am guessing this one was into the 6lber range or more conservatively.

319181919.jpg

Sorry for the crap pics...wife was taking the pics every time I yelled at her from outside.." Hey!!!! can you come out here and take a picture....come on hurry up I gotta get the fish back in the water!!!...then she was complaining about running in and out of the trailer to take a pic...hmm go figure, I was having a pretty good time.

I then got a few laughs with and from the wife because I set out in the boat a couple times to check out a few spots..didn't come up with much at all, and nothing all that big...I walk out the trailer door, out on the patio and down a couple steps and fish off the bank and what happens...I have a blast with the panfish on the utralite, then switch up tactics to the big stuff, get into some decent pike action, lost a monster, get the odd OOSer in the mix all like 20 feet from my door and all within casting distance of the bank.

Since the little one was the only one of the kids who came up, of course we made sure she had a great time too..playing outside all day long like kids used to do when many of us where kids and we HAD to play outside all day...she had a blast with my ultralite combo catching sunnies and rockies from the shor, and took her for a bit of a goof around in the boat...this is what it's all about right there.

319181824.jpg

can i move in with ya Jack, im sure Emily wont mind :P Great fish though i bet those musky are scared knowing u r lurking around the corners

I am due for a good 60 incher this year..that's about the sure fire way I know I will beat my PB...man I make it hard on myself over the years :lol: . You need to figure a time this year you can get up Hellfish, we will make the best of it..if it's musky hunting then I will make sure the bigger boat is up there for more comfy travels if we put a few miles into the quest