how to catch spooky steelhead?

ricoboxing

i went to a trib on Sat looking for some res. trout, and I found pool after pool of steelies. The water was kinda low and crystal clear, so they were spooked by anything I threw at them. I decided to come back the next day b4 sunrise, and managed to catch 1 steelie and 2 res. bows just as the sun was coming up. as soon as it got a bit brighter, they wouldnt touch anything.

so whats the best way to catch these guys? am i gonna have to crawl up the bank on my hands and knees so they dont see me? i caught 2 on pink worms and one on a real worm.

Hey i hit the trib on saturday... found the same thing... wasnt getting nothing. so i switchd up my bait. Tried a spinner. i caught 1 using a small black and silver one, with 2 or 3 follow ups. I tried working 2 pools. Going back an forth every 20-30 once they knew the lures were me LOL. mind it was my first time out with trout and waders, but the water was crystal clear. I found once it hit like 5pm and the sun started turning, i used my real worms and the bite was more active. Mid day, they lie low in those pools.

Also keep in mind that if you see them, they see you. Try approaching the hole with a very low profile and giving it a try. Avoid wearing red and try to choose clothing colours that blend in with your surroundings.

Edited by ccmt

sneek up on them forsure, I love fishing by eye. Its awesome to watch them hit.

use small roe bags tied in white or peach, single eggs in a natural colour and whole dew worms.

very simple rig. small hook and single split shot.

start your drift well in front of the fish, the water is clear so they will have no trouble seeing your bait.

they will spook easy so dont expect to catch more then one or two out of a hole. It pays to catch and move on and if you know the whole is loaded come back before you leave. once the fish settle they will hit again.

light as crap line try 4lb or lower. if the grasshoppers are out i would use those. trout love grasshoppers :) i have not been to a creek in a bit!!! im gona do some dry flying for some brownies this thursday ill post the results!!