LakAir Walleye Opener

RangerGuy

Gotta say I always have a great time up at LakAir Kevin & Leslie are great hosts.

It was a great long weekend I don't mind the rain & wind. I'm sure my wife would have preferred it be warmer.

We manage to catch our limit + a couple with in the slot so I don't think we did to bad for our first spring at LakAir.

I did here of a guy that was catch 3 & 5 lbs walleyes but we didn't see any big ones. We had to work for our fish and

never caught more than 1 or 2 fish in a spot. One thing we did notice was that all our fish were found on the back side of

rocky wind blown points in 10 to 20 feet of water and current areas.

We had some new equipment this weekend so here is my take on these items.

1) Flourocarbon Line:

I used 4lbs 100% Flourocarbon and Tina used 6lbs Berkley XT trilene. No difference Tina actually out fished me :) So no more

spending $20 on a spool of line. I'm going back to XT.

2) Slow death hook method. I tried this method and didn't get a sniff while we did catch 50 -60% of our fish on worm harnesses.

I'll try this method again but I think maybe it's a gimick LOL!

3) First real test of our new 80lbs 24volt Terrova.

This motor is awesome we were there Saturday morning and fished until Tuesday late afternoon. In our last hour of fishing

the motor would still move our boat at 2+ mph at full speed. When I pulled the boat out of the water Tuesday afternoon I still

had 1/2 my battery power left. We trolled bottom bouncers, jigs, crankbaits and held our position in a current areas with the autopilot

for almost 4 full days and never had to recharge our batteries.

The only thing I'm not entirely happy with is the noise it's not nearly as loud as my old TM but I guess I was expecting much quieter

operating noise because of the "Quiet Power" advertising LOL! you can't here it at the lowest settings but from the 3 or 4th

speed setting and up you can easily hear it.

Good to hear ya had a good time . Give the slow death hooks another chance , with half a night crawler or we had good results with a 4" gulp minnow and a bottom bouncer, go slow - less that 1mph - you will be pleased with the hook ups ,way better than a straight hook (but ya got to get the fish to hit first, seams like this week end they needed some extra flash for ya , maybe a blade and some beads on the leader before the swivel might have helped?