Proper Reel Care

I bought a Shimano Sedona Reel a little over 2 years ago. Using the reel this weekend i found that the grears or something were not as smooth as before. So i think i need to greese down this reel, can someone tell me where in the reel i need to greese, maybe include pictures or something.

Edited by Mike The Bass Fisher

I'll bet you threw out the instruction booklet eh? Take off the side cover and apply a small amount of "reel lube" to the gearset and spool shaft. You can get reel lube at.....IGA, Sobeys, Tackle Store. It probably wouldn't hurt to take off the spool and dust out underneath with a Q tip too.

Mike, a great post to help is this...

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...l=reel+cleaning

I followed it and cleaned 2 reels in the last month.

Here are some pics of my cleaning.

http://www.ofncommunity.com/forums/index.p...mp;#entry194256

I did my Sahara about 2 weeks ago and have a few pics, not nearly as many pieces as the Stradic. It was very straight forward.

I used Quantum Hot Sauce (both oil and grease and they seem both pretty stable)

They will run you about $20-25 depending on where you get them. Thats for both, not each.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Generally on grinding parts like gears, a greese like Abu, Mitchell X 3, etc. is a good idea. For sliging parts. like on a main shaft of a spinning reel, try some lite sewing machine oil. For side plates, use a toothbrush and something like WD 40. If you are uncomfortable with opeing the reel, give Aikmans or Rockys a call (there are also a few in other regions of Canada).

outdoorguy61

take the reel apart very slowly and place the parts in the order you took them out even take pictures (ive had some missing parts) then clean all of them and grease it with some lithium grease its a little heavy but after a few casts it will be like buttering bread. oh yea KEEP YOUR REEL OUT OF SAND AND DIRT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD!

peace

Mike, Clean the old grease off first. Use a degreaser mixed with water as in Goteeboys post. i used Zep as I had it in the house (also recommended by goteeboy), if not, go pick some up from Home Depot.

Rinse and get all the water off before reassembly.

Look at both his and my pictures, you will see what it looks like in order of taking it apart.

The stradic was my first reel that i did and it took me 3 hours. The second reel i did took me under 40 minutes.

Good luck.