Happy 40th Troutday

Well Today was my best buds 40th birthday. So we took the day off to pursue our favourte species.Black flies were out in full force today being real pest but fortunately only a small % were biting. There was a sparse hendrickson hatch going on but fish really werent moving to them so we left the fly rods in the Yukon and used mainly Panther Martins or dew worms. The day was more about trippin and hitting a lot of spots that we haven't hit in years.

The day was beautiful but waters were very high and still remarkably cold for this time of the year.We caught quite a few fish and I ended up bringing two home for dinner for myself. The biggest fish that was caught was a 15" rainbow that I took on a PM in a heavy current run. The bugger slipped outta my hands and fell back into the river before I could kill it though so there is no picture.

A vert we hadnt seen in a while. Brook trout water just looooks like it should have fish in it. Its so clear and beautiful

culvert.jpg

The Halloween vert that I mentioned in another thread with a super stealthy approach

stealth.jpg

Happy Bday Bud enjoy those lovely brookies

jbbt.jpg

One that I kept for dinner

bsbt.jpg

That was typical of most of the fish that we caught coming in at 11"

All in all it was a great day finished off with a cold one on the tailgate. We are getting older though and after all that walking and bushwacking Im ready for bed.

Edited by Musky or Specks

Part two the best part

Stomach contents. In the top of the pic is a parttly digested 3" minnow looks like a dace out of one fish amd the other blob is probably around 50 or so hendrickson nymphs

stomach.jpg

Prep the fish,a dredging in flour,salt,pepper and red pepper flakes,a egg bath and then coated in a combo of bread crumbs and fresh chives from the garden

prep.jpg

Dinner with a side salad of baby spinach, red onions,red peppers and pepperocinni in a lemon juice/olive oil and lemon zest dressing

yum.jpg