Lead core line set-up

turtle

I do much of my soft water fishing for lake trout (avg. size around 2 lbs and 21 inches with the odd 4-5 lb fish) using a penn reel, daiwa 6 ft 6 lead core rod,. kerplunk 18 lb lb lead core and about 12 ft of mono. I find this set-up my most productive but heavy for the average fish. I used to use a penn "pool cue" rod but scrapped it for the daiwa.

I know the rod has to have some backbone and wider line guides to handle the lead core. I fish close to shore most of the year where the depth changes quickly and there is also deep downed timber so I dont use a downrigger. I've tried wire line but prefer the lead core.

Any recommendations for another lead core set-up that has some backbone but is appropriate for the smaller size average fish? Thanks.

Are you spooling up all 10 colors? You could put the core on something like a med action Shimano TDR trolling rod, but still, your lead core setup is still going to be a "meat stick" no matter what you do.

Copper line might give you more feel if it’s the fight of the fish you're after. I'm not well versed in copper line, but a simple internet search may shed some insight.

Also, have you tried Slide Divers? Like a dipsy diver but you can leave as long of a lead off the diver as you want. When it releases, it slides down the line and stops at the swivel. This set up may produce for you if you're looking at mimicking the stealth of the lead core. You will lack the vertical roll you get from core line though.