Topwater Rods

MCTFisher9120

Waiting for the fish to pull the lure under is the secret.

If you set the hook when you see the swirl, you'll probably pull it away from the fish & miss it.

I still rather a fast rod because it casts better & has more backbone. :Gonefishing:

I had to replace my 'poppin' rod last year after kicking it into Katchawanooka...

I like a fairly light spinning rod for most topwater (mostly throw a Pop'R) but it really comes down to the size and action of the bait. I have some bigger poppers and torpedoes that I throw with a baitcaster.

I went with a 6'6" Shimano medium action, fast tip (lure weight 1/8 - 1/2 oz). I think it's a Clarus (one step down from the Compre, but it had a softer tip). The comparible Compre was rated 3/16 - 5/8 oz lure weight (same as my Compre baitcaster, now that I think about it).

I've had success with 6'6 to 7' medium action spinning rods for the topwater bite, it can't be too flimsy, but it can't be too stiff either.. a good in-between rod should be okay.. In my opinion it doesn't even really matter that much.. I've never had problems with hookups on topwater.. usually bass or pike just inhale the lure and you dont even need to worry about setting the hook because they've crushed it so hard..