Steelhead jigs/flies for Meaford trout opener

jat

I've been going up to Meaford the past few years and there are a few guys who are using a certain type of fly or jig. When they use these flies they clean up and everyone else is skunked. I seem to remember that they have some brown in them and that they are a wooly bugger variant or something else and as for the jigs, they are typical steelhead jigs but I have never been able to see them up close. If anyone goes up there can you give me some hints because I've been skunked for too long. Thanks

my guess is you are talking about the marabou jig. Most likely the riverwood or varient since they have gained alot of hype these last few years.

I would not worry about them too much. Sure they are effective, but they need to be fished properly to be. I have not mastered the jig technique myself, I buy several every once in a while but they all end up stuck in a rock somewhere. Like I said they need to be fished in the correct manner.

Perhaps one of the other members can explain how to rig a marabou jig for steelhead properly, But I doubt it. When i do try it I take most of the shot of my line. I try and fish it as if I were fly fishing a beadhead fly. I try and rely on the drift to keep the jig moving and off the bottom, but it is hard for me. All my jigs end up snagged, but thats probably due to my lack of experience.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Riparian

skunked on opener...hmmmmm just doesn't sound right !!! I doubt that its is the jigs that cause the few guy to produce so well as others ( probably drifting roe) are not getting hit. Its all about offering the fish something diffferent. On the opener as soon as the fish start to slow down on roe its a sign that they have caught on to what is happening and will choose to ingore the same pretty colored mesh wrapped egg offerings that they keep see flying by their head every few seconds !!! Always bring a few back ups for the opener. My sencond choice after roe is trout worms, but even those by about 10 oclock the fish have learned not to bite....next I rig up either maggots or meal worms...I can almost guarantee you will get hooked up on either of these two baits within your first few drifts , considering no one else as been offering them to the fish in your pool....This year i am going to try to get a hold of some hexagenia nyphms for the opener. I have read that they do quite well in the late season down in New York and other US states, but are not as popular up here cause they are hard to find...

Fishing the jig relies on having most of the shot right under the float and then mending the line so you have absolutely no drag. The jig has to "float" in the current so that the marabou fans out and doesn't become depressed - that the secret.........easier said then done....lol