leaders to braid

sonny

Would just like some opinions on leader tying while using braid...personally i use 4lb florocarbon tied to 6 lb braid with a doulble uni knot....while on some of my trolling rods where i am using braid i will join the floro to braid using a small swivel

i believe leaders are seldom used by amature fisherpeople because of the confusion in using them,or they just shy away from the braid

ohh ya don't forget about the situations where it is acceptable to tie direct!

What are you fishing for with 4lbs test ? pan fish ? I use to be the guy at the river with 4lbs leaders catching Salmon, have no idea why I used it, I don't even trust 4lbs anymore for a lazy hook set without it snapping.

I usually just do a double uni as well, never had any problems with line twist or failure in the knot. honestly if my line breaks it breaks half way up the leader 90% of the time for some reason, never at the knot, you would think it's the weak spot at the knot but it never fails.

Only time I use a swivel is when i have to stop a sliding weight ect...

Me Too, but one of the TV fishing shows has been doing "Knot Wars"

The uni-uni is the best so far. Next weeks challenger is the venerable blood knot.

The most interesting thing so far is that several knots were better than the uni when it came to tying on a hook etc.

The over all champ was the Palomar. With the Palomar they test machine was returning over 100% line strength!

15 pound line was breaking at up to 19 pounds, between the knots!

With the Uni-uni, 15 pound Fireline tied to 15 pound Floro or mono, the knots are failing at about 8 pounds.

I can't help feeling that a small swivel and two Palomar's might be the way to go...

Garry2rs