pontoon boat plywood protection

blue pickeral

Recently put in an order from UFab pontoon boats for pontoons and framework for an 8 by 14 foot platform. My current idea is to sheet the top with 3/4 inch plywood after coating both sides with roll-on truck box liner for ease of maintenance and long term durability. I would add some kind of grit to create a non-slip surface. (saw this in a product display at one of the shows)

Open to other 'coating/surfacing' ideas if anyone has any?

I have a 20' pontoon boat that's 14yrs old....the floor/wood is still in great shape other than the carpeting is a little faded now compared to the carpet under the seats...

The plywood that was used on the floor was a 7-ply marine grade plywood. I would put this on and buy some outdoor carpeting for a non-slip surface (and it'll be a heck of a lot more comfortable on bare feet than a hard grit surface :clapping: )...seems like a lot of work in what you're proposing of doing for your pontoon boat idea....

Definitely use Marine Grade Ply. Do not use Construction Grade. Its going to run you $110-140 a sheet depending on where you get it. As for a surface, if you dont want to use carpet, Rhino Lining would work as well. Its like the stuff they had at the show, but you can get a more rubbery surface making it more comfortable to walk on. If you go with the standard bed liner, its very hard and coarse.