Truck goes trough ice on Nipissing

Spiel

Truck goes trough ice on Nipissing

Kate Adams

BayToday

Saturday, February 09, 2008

OPP have issued a warning that the public should use extreme caution on Lake Nipissing after a truck went through the ice this afternoon.

The vehicle was traveling along Lake Nipissing approximately half a mile off shore across from the sewage plant on Saturday afternoon when it hit open water and began to submerge.

“As we were heading out across the ice I was just checking where the door handle and things were … when I heard a loud crack and the front of the truck just started going in,” passenger Melanie Rowley, tells BayToday.

“I rolled down that window and tried the door handle, but the door was blocked by the ice, so I crawled out onto the ice, and then yelled at Nicole to do the same … crawl out on my side.”

Rowley, who is home in the Bay from Calgary to visit family and friends, says there were no injuries but both she and the driver are shaken up by the ordeal.

Emergency personnel responded and have cordoned of the area with pylons where the truck went in and Rowley says that the truck will be lifted out of the lake Sunday.