Ice fishing for splake!!

MuddyWater

hello im heading up to small lake this weekend for an attmept at some splake. i was just wondering about some information on nailing these guys through the ice such as structure to look for, lures, baits, line thickness just about anything would be great

Thanks

Well we usually fish for splake the same way we fish for perch...well at least equipment wise,small jigs,minnows & small spoons ctc,etc....try to find, points,or if you know the lake find any trees that have fallen before the ice came,fish there,any inflowing creeks or springs,as well as edges of green weedbeds if you can find them !!!...splake will hit just about anything just like perch will if they are in a feeding mood, and most times we never fish really deep for them in less than 20ft,with around 10-15 being the best we find,now thats all for the bancroft area,but if i was heading to an area i havnt fished before i would first try and do all of the above forst,so hope this helps,and im sure other members have some info for you as well.....cheers & good-luck :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

little cleos in blue silver, green silver, swedish pimples, mr.champs and if they're shy small white tube jigs...just pretend your fishing for perch......maybe even try some berkley power nymphs in different colors......those puppies make the perch go nuts and splake love the perch.......lol.........tell us how you did.

Smal silver and blue Little Cleo's are my lucky number. I like rock structure in less then 25 FOW with close access to deep water. If it is a new lake, look to the shore for hints about underwater structure and be prepared to punch lots of holes.