GOOD BYE NORTON (update / Definitely N F)

Photoz

:clapping:Since my last inquiry, and lotsa opinions & GOOD advice from MANY helpful people, against my informed judgement, I went back to Norton . . . TEMPORARILY . . . . . only because I didn't dare start poking around where I had no clue what I was doing. But . . . . I did find much the same deal as last year, EXCEPT, ya gotta loan 'em $25.00 this year, then play the 'try & get your money back' game! But I'll EVENTUALLY get it, so, I'm out about $11.50 for one month's coverage . . . no big deal! I also went over to Sympatico HIGH SPEED (actually medium speed) where THEY supply the security . . . hope it works well. In order to sell me this package, the Sympatico rep assured me once I got the connection, THEY could walk me through the steps to clean out Norton. (YEAH H H H H . .. . . sure they will!) To make a long story short, Sympatico gave me a number for Symantec, where I listened to funeral parlour music and was reminded EVERY 5 minutes how important my call was, for NEARLY an hour. I then got a very well informed rep (from Calcutta, where he complained about it being cool . . 72 degrees) who got ALL the Norton files cleaned out!! Boy .. . . am I glad I DID NOT try it myself. Although stuff still doesn't come up with BLINDING speed, it's better, by MILES, than the ol' dial-up, only $10.00 more, and it frees my phone up! Thanks, EVERYBODY, for the opinions & advice on this, I learned a lot from reading it ALL!

Way to go Steve for finally upgrading to hi-speed...sure makes a big difference viewing pictures here on the board and for viewing videos on Youtube...

I spent an enjoyable afternoon after searching "Carp" videos...Enjoy ! :thumbsup_anim:

Photoz, I'm on the Ultra High Speed plan, it includes the Security stuff.

I realize that there are Whiners and Complainers, about everything, but I've only ever dealt with Sympatico. Any problem (very few) I've ever had, was actually due to errors on my end of things.

The Ultra High Speed includes a wireless router, that allows me to sit out by the pool (not today) and use a laptop.

My speed blows anyone on Rogers, etc., out of the water, it even surprises the Sympatico techs.

It relies on your line quality and distance from the main gear. I've had Bell install new line from house to the box out back and (lucky for me) I'm less than 1000' from main stuff.

There are several free sites that will give a report on your upload and download speed, I've used them to compare speed with others from To to Van.. I win every time.

I figured the security package they offer was worth it, when considering conflicts, updates, etc..

I have two kids that use the Net, under my heavy hand, and I've never had problems with viruses etc. thanks to Sympatico Security (and me).

Enjoy.

TWO things are very noticeable on this computer now . . . . it loads up a LOT faster, and I can INSTANTLY get to look at pictures posted by other members. I used to dread some of the posts by MOOSEBUNK . . . . a great read & EXCELLENT pictures . . . . . tied me up for an hour to see 'em all!! But it was the tied up phone line that finally prompted me to go to the high speed . . . . I SUPPOSEDLY have 20X the speed of dial-up, it's a LOT quicker . . . might even be 20X they claim, but I can answer my phone AND call out with the computer on now. And it ONLY sets me back and extra $10.00 a month! Since I'm not at all into gaming, movies or music, the ultra high speed would be to no advantage. I've dealt with Sympatico for 8 years, rarely had a problem, so I decided to stick with the devil I know?

But . . . . one question for you computer buffs that use Rogers High Speed & their virus protection + other security . . . . . I received a 'heads up' from a Rogers High Speed user . . she noticed her computer getting REALLY slow, then received a message from WINDOWS SECURITY telling her she had FIFTY SIX 'MALWARE' viruses . . . . and the Rogers security she's using DOES NOT protect her from these! She's currently using ADD AWARE to try to clean this mess up. My question is . . . W'AT IN 'ELL IS MALWARE? AND WHY DOESN"T ROGERS VIRUS PROTECTION BLOCK IT? WILL SYMPATICO'S SECURITY BLOCK IT? ANY INFO ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, if it ain't ONE thing, it's ANOTHER?

The quick answer is ...'NO'. There is NO sure protection for your computer (not even MACs can make that claim). I always use the analogy of a car. Just like your car, your computer need s maintenance to. As you use your car , you get used to its little noises and squeaks and responses in different situation. If anything seems different you go on red alert and check it out. Well the same thing happens with your computer. If you notice any changes then it has to be checked out. There are literally thousands of virus, adware,malware and other stuff out on the net ready to infect your computer. Do a google for any of these terms and you'll find a ton of information on it. try this one for malware http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

I service a lot of computers for seniors. They all have some sort of protection and they mostly go to bank sites (on line banking) and check their email. They still get this junk. I've worked with computers for over 30 years an even I get nailed once in a while.

Use your software to keep your system running at it's best (Spybot, Adaware, CCleaner, AVG, MS Malicious tool remover, SpyBlaster, set your firewalls, Defragmenter, dusting and vacuuming, registry cleaner[if you add and remove a lot of software]). Have enough fans for good air movement in your computer to keep it cool (heat kills). Add a second drive and backup your irreplaceable files.

There are NO Rules on the net, and there is NO sure protection once you're on the net. Don't get lulled into a false sense of security that your system is bullet proof. New threats appear on the net literally every day. No software can keep you protected for ever. Regular maintenance is the only way to keep your system running at it's peak. Once you start doing it it just becomes a regular habit.

muddler

:thumbsup_anim:T'anks for takin' the time . . . . . I never cease to be amazed how, no matter how slight, or severe a problem is, there's ALWAYS a member (or lotsa members) of this board ready and willing to offer advice, & help! It might be called a 'FISHING MESSAGE BOARD,' but my bet is, there's NO OTHER 'FISHING MESSAGE BOARD' that can supply good, reliable info on so many subjects as THIS one can

P. S.

I just went to to your link . . . . read MOST (what I could fathom) of it . . . . . I'm almost afraid to turn my computer on!!

Edited by Photoz