Dual batteries wiring diagram

icefisherman

No matter what setup you have, you can never recharge a deep cycle trolling motor battery by using any kind of set up in a boat. If your charger gives you 6 amps for 1 hour, that means 6 amp/hour. That's enough energy to run a trolling motor that uses about that much amperage for 1 hour.....meaning a small 10 lb thrust motor at half speed. Way to little to move a large boat fast enough to troll. A large electric motor uses about 15 to 30 amps per hour on the average to move a 17 foot boat.

A 6 amp/hour battery charger is ok for topping up a starter battery if the motor runs for a good 30 minutes or more.....just like an automobile.

I would just forget about trying to charge the trolling motor battery at all. It's a no win situation. A trolling motor battery with 200 minutes of reserve capacity will make a 50 lb thrust electric motor work for about 4 hours. When you get home, it will take about 20 hours to completely recharge the trolling motor battery with a 6 to 10 amp battery charger.

Guys,

someone has said truth is born in arguments.

So I do appreciate your arguments/discussion as it helps me a lot to understand this issue.

Brian thanks for the drawing. I'll save it for future reference.

Here is what I just got emailed back to me from Yamaha tech support:

Good afternoon:

Hope this helps:

Alternator output

4 Amps @ 1500rpm

10 amps @ 2400rpm

13 amps @ 4500rpm

I've asked them about my kicker and this is their reply. It should answer some of your questions from the past few days about Amps at certain RPM.

Dabluz,

I'd rarely use the electric trolling motor. So depleting the second batter (kicker connected to it because of extensive use of electric trolling motor is non issue for me). The issue though is this....I am planning to connect to the same battery two electric riggers (Cannon MAG10 probably), so will the kicker be able to keep up with the use those two rigger will drain out of the battery during say....8 Hrs trolling? Using the numbers Yamaha gave me above, someone with electrical knowledge should be able to calculate what two riggers draw and what the kicker will be able to produce/charge at the same time?

I know the ideal world may call for two starter batteries and two trolling batteries but I don't think I'll be so ideal in this case...don't like the extra weight/space I'll lose nor do I like to pay extra $200-$300 if I could avoid it by utilizing the two almost new deep cycle batteries I have on board right now.

Cheers,

Ice Fisherman

Okay, it took a little while to find this for Emil's motor....

No bearing, no bushings, no alternator...

The reason for my persistance is not so much to prove I'm right but because Emil had asked me through email about where to find the alternator... everyone keeps talking about an alternator. There is no dang alternator! LOL!!!

fig026-115140-9601.jpg

So, just out of curiosity, :whistling: how you call it ? :D