2007 Steelhead question

Milty

The question is this,....while most of southern Ontario on average has had a dismal inland steelhead run year thus far,.....for anglers ....(record low water this fall,...and now freezin up)...how does his type of year affect the health of the populations of fish reproducing??

Obviously there would be less pressure and harvest by anglers,..but also have many Steelhead missed or foregone the opportuniy to head upstream and spawn? ..supposed to be a COLD winter,... what about the early ice up immediately following low levels since last winter..and how does that affect migration now given the ice up....as for where the fish will hold during the ice ups,..is a different story and thread...more curious about how these fall 2007 conditions will affect the steelhead numbers in general...

All of that being said,...seems like a not bad Natural REG for a year to help the pops from overharvest atleast..just hoping there is a positive side to the fishery,..I for one dont mind waiting!!!

Opinions Wanted...

I would disagree, this years fall steelhead have been excellent. The rivers have been full since the salmon died down ( really early in my area) I would also agree with steve the most of the fish spawn in the spring and with all the snow were getting should be lots of run off.

This spring was one of the best years ever can hardly wait for 08'

Gonna have to agree with trout guy! I have had a fantastic fall , I have landed over 100 fish this fall....been excellent! There is plenty of fish to be caught still in the rivers, heck last week my buddy landed a couple loose browns so they are still there and still biting! Still got a couple weeks left, then its time to pack up the waders and 9.5 ft and get out the ice gear!! Good luck out there everyone!!!

Hawk