Prop Question

jdlivewell

Does thrust washers wear out? Put on a new prop and found that it seams to go on the shaft more then then the old one. Also when I spin the prop it tends to rub on the housing a little at one point. There don't seem to be any play in the shaft side to side or up and down, but there is a little play in and out, is that normal? I know these sounds a little dirty but no other way to say it. :rolleyes:

I would be hard pressed to believe that a thrust washer has worn that much, I much rather believe it's a badly made prop, or the inner splined shaft was not placed correctly. If the thrust washer wears that quickly, it would only mean that the new prop will rub more and more as use increases.

Guest skeeter99

the washer will not wear out

the reason your prop it touching is because your prop shaft is bent a bit, you may have hit something it does not take much to put it out really

or it could be the new prop you put, if it is a used prop it may have hit something and put it off a bit if it is a new prop highly unlikely it is out (but it can happen)

one other thing is the inside of the washer bevelled a bit? I know mine is and if you put it on the wrong way the prop will go on a bit further

I know merc thrust washers on newer engines are brass with a bevelled inside (that goes on shaft) there is a right and wrong way to put on

Edited by skeeter99