Kawarthas Crappies

redfin

Hi, Went fishing at my favourite Kawarthas “walleye” spot on Saturday. Got to the launch at around noon and only greeted by a strong gusting westerly to about 45 klicks. Perfect weather for pickerel fishing we thought, but things got very different when we were actually on the water. Among other variables, it was very difficult and frustrating not able to drift over the walleye flat that we were trying to position even with the aid of the drift sock, we decided to pull in to a small bay to cast some plugs to see if there are any takers.

First fish was a 10” crappie hit my 6” plug…go figure…

food.jpg

From then on it was all crappie action, I only wish I had my ultra light gears with me. Most crappie were about 10 inches and under, with a few 13, 14 inchers. The biggest one was 1.4 pound on the Berkley digital. These fish were hitting small plugs, spinnerbait, but the majority of them were hooked with a jig/plastic. This went on and off for about four hours. In all I think we caught no less than 70 fish between the two of us. We didn’t even get one walleye, but this crappie business really made our day.

Kept some of the fish…

food2.jpg

Took forever to clean all these fish, unlike the perch or the ‘eyes, these things are very tricky to clean. I almost lost a finger. Wasted most of the fish, I had to add some shrimps in it to make our dinner.

food3.jpg

Minced it all up to make fish balls.

food4.jpg

Finished product, I guess it was worth all the work…

food5.jpg