Installing a Livewell Timer in my Boat (NF)

tizfun

Hey Everyone, Home to today as neither of my fishing buds had any spare time to wet the lines today.. So I thought I'd head over to BPS to browse... NOT !!!!! Picked up a livewell timer and a few other things.. $146.00 later..... Now, the intructions say it easy installation, I must be an idiot, I've been at it for an 2 hours and still can't figure it out.. So here I am, pleading for some help.. My boat has the livewell switch with a fuse on the console.. The timer itself has 3 wires, output/power/ground... How can I hook this up with the set-up I have now.. I tried a few times and the timer runs all the time.. I looked it up on the net and still the same thing..

I want the original swtich on the boat to work along with this timer.. Or do I have to eliminate the switch and only go with the timer ??? I'm so confused !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tiz

Thanks for the reply WKRP.... Is there no way of using the existing switch ??? Still in the garage working on it.. Read up on the net that I may have to add another power line to the timer or a ground.. Getting tired...

Here's the scoop... My Princecraft has the panel with all the switches with the fuses below them.. The livewell switch has 3 points.. Top is black wire, middle is orange and bottom has brown wire.. Power wire come's from the fuses which are all connected in series ??

Make sense ??

Anyone else have any suggestions..

Guest skeeter99

I used the existing switch, took the power from it to the livewell timer and on the output side of the timer you run that to the other side of your swithc in the dash

this is assuming your livewell timer has a 3 wire setup +12, ground and output

so for my livewell to work I must have the switch on (original boat) plus the timer to make it work

Hey Skeeter99, Thanks for the help.. My timer does have 3 prongs, output, power, ground.. I took the power from the switch (orange)and connected it to the power on the timer..Then connected the output from the timer to the other prong on the switch(brown).. and ran the ground wire.. The pump comes on when I flip the boat switch but the timer is in the off position.. It seems like the timer isn't even there..

Still working on this, wifes a little upset since I've been out there all day...

Tiz

Also, when I totally remove these 2 wires from the boat switch and connect them to the timer, it works fine... Still want the same set-up as you've got skeeter99.. I want to flip the boat switch and then turn the timer on so it will work....

Tiz

Guest skeeter99

i think I know what you did

i will explain in more detail

1. your curent livewell switch(boat) has 2 wires in it ,1 has 12v on it and when u close the switch the livewell pump comes on correct?

2. on the side of the boat switch that goes to the pump cut it (add wire iff needed)and connect it to the 12v in of the timer

3. the other half that you just cut off connect it to the output side of the timer

4. dont forget to ground the timer

now your boat switch is inline, without it being on there will be no circuit to the timer

just think of it as putting a switch before your livewell switch

Skeeter99 you are a a life saver... Took a copy of your instructions to the boat with me and wired it up just like you said... IT WORKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I thank you very much for your help and taking the time ....

Again I thank you and good night ..... I'm exhausted.........

Tiz