fluorocarbon...

spanky

Can someone explain to me why i'd want to buy a 25yd spool of fluorocarbon for $10 instead of a 200yd spool for $15?

Is there a difference between a mainline and leader fluoro? steelies didn't mind my fluoro from my silverthread "mainline" last year... just curious, Seaguar is the brand i'm looking at also... 200yd carbon pro or invizx is under $20... just wondering the "benefits" as they're both supposed to be full fluoro....

Difference is 100% Floro and floro coated,...like P-line is coated, hence the price, whereas Drennan and Raven are 100%,..(and far better leaders IMHO) a 50 yard spool of drennan lasts me over a year,...so its worth the $$ for me!!!

how can seaguar then say:

"The first 100% fluorocarbon line suitable for main-line fishing. Hard outer shell provides excellent abrasion resistance and strength while the softer inner core gives you controlled stretch and virtually no spool memory. Plus, its low-light refraction properties render this line almost invisible, so it's the perfect choice for clear water situations. Completely resistant to UV rays and unaffected by temperature changes."..

I'll probably grab a 15lb 200yd spool for bassin' and a 4lb spool for ice fishing and ultra-lighting... just curious is all

the P-Line CFX only comes in 25yd spools aswell, so i assume it's actual fluoro, not their "fluoroclear" brand... i have Raven 4.5 fluoro leaders for steelies aswell, seems to work good...

never tried the seagar,...but remember marketing is marketing,...i like mono mains like maxima,..and raven and drennan for leads,..no reason for me to switch yet,....you could drop a paycheque every pay period trying out all the new gimmicks,...dont fix it if it aint broken,...Ive yet to have a salmon or steelie break those leads,...in fact i landed a 25lb nook a week ago with 6lb drennan,....12 lb main,..and 12.5' rod on the centrepin and an 18lb on the same gear with 4lb drennan...just my experience

absolutely, but at the same time, 9/10 times the local tackle shop (1/2hrs away) is usually sold out of the Raven (all they carry) and when i gotta have i gotta have it so it's easier to order it... i will be sticking with Raven leaders, with 8lb Ande/Siglon mainline for the centerpin and 13' rod... but when it comes to bass fishing i'm not so sure the the difference between the 2 fluoro's will make a difference which is why i'm wondering how a 100% main fluoro is different than a 100% leader fluoro...

Maybe i'm just hoping that the price of it all will come down lol

Both are 100% fluorocarbon. Leader wheels are more expensive because it is marketed as lead material. You wouldn't be able to sell a fluoro main line spool for $50, so they take less margin for the bigger spool.

I fill my small leader spools for steelheading with 6 and 8lb Seaguar InvizX fluoro and it works great for leader material. Just as you noticed, way cheaper too. And Seaguar invented fluorocarbon line, no??? So why not go with the best :thumbsup_anim:

Burt :)

xrap- would never think about using it as a mainline... i'm happy with the Ande, Berkley ironsilk and Siglon-F... Ironsilk seems to work best, only berkley product i like lol

Burtess- That's what i figured, just curious tho as to why the price of it... but hey, i'll give it a shot and see what happens, may just stumble across something that works and is cheap!!