This weekend

Garry2Rs

This weekend my old work buddy Larry came to my place with his brother Bob. Friday afternoon we tried hard to get out on the water. It was raining when they arrived, so we had some lunch and hoped that the sky would clear...In an hour, or so, the sun came out. We loaded the boat and headed for the lake. Twenty minutes later, as we pulled up to the launch, we saw huge black clouds forming...We sat and watched for awhile, to see if it would pass, but returned home when it started to thunder along with the rain.

Saturday was bright, with only a few high clouds. We hit the water at 9AM. The lake was too calm again and the fishing was tough. In the first hour all we caught was one Rock Bass...Things picked up when a breeze started to riffle the surface just after 10 o'clock. We caught several Bass along the docks and boats on the north shore and then moved to the shoals where Musky Bill hooked his big one last weekend.

There were no monsters biting for us today, but I did lose two good fish when my small hook pulled out. I was using a 1/32 oz jig and a 4 inch worm. After the second fish came off, I switched to a 6 inch worm and a 4/0 hook...GRIN.

We fished farther down the north shore than I usually do and had good success...I will have to try it again this week. In the past I thought that this was an unproductive area, but in those days I only fished for Musky. I need to check it out again now that I'm targeting Bass. We called it a day around 4PM. and headed home for a tall cool one.

In Summary:

We caught a dozen mid-size Bass, both SM&LM, close to shore on worms, after the wind riffled the surface.

The weeds are still healthy looking.

Lots of fish are still shallow.

Sunday would be a short day for us because my guests wanted to be on the road at noon. We left the house at 9AM, Stoney Lake was our destination. I didn't get a bite on the rock's and weeds where I had good action a couple of weeks ago. We did get two nice Bass, one Sm off some rocks in the lea of an island and one Lm over weeds in the lea of another island...Both were caught on 6 inch purple worms. There were no takers for our crankbaits today.

In Summary:

I find Stoney tougher than my favourite cottage lake but the average size is better.

The "moss" that drove me nuts the last time I was there, is clearing-up.

The water in the Kawarthas is still in the mid 60's.

garry2r's