Planning a trip to Alaska

fishdawg

So the wife & I one day would like to travel out that way.... could be two or ten years from now..... nevertheless, just wondering if anyone here had anything to share that could help us out...

we would most likley go for 7-10 days (including the travelling) and probably 4 days of strictly fishing...

hoping to hook into Inconnu (sheefish) Grayling, Halibut & of course some of them legendary salmon & steelhead

we would probably would use a guide/charter for a coupla days for various species, but wuold also like to do some on our own as well...

thanks in advance..

First of all, I guarantee that you will never forget the trip, regardless of any luck fishing. The scenery is awesome.

Everyone has their preferences but I believe that the best time to go there is the end of July and beginning of August. The weather is the most stable that time of year. Before and after that there is transition and temperature fluctuation, and winds and rain can change plans quickly. Even then there is no guarantee of good weather, but more than likely most days will be okay.

I could never have fished there without either a guide or at least two weeks to go through the Regulations. Is is just too big a state with far too many species and seasons to fathom without major efforts. Do get a guide. Know what fish you plan to target and where. Some rivers, for instance, have a season for King Salmon on Monday morning, 8:00 a.m. -12:00 p.m., and only 200 yards from the confluence of that tributary with its larger river. It is just impossible to know that without study. And one has to learn to differentiate the nomenclautre relating to native seasons with residents and non-residents. It gets crazy. So target, be specific, and ask the guide. Not all fishing is that hard, as things like Halibut in the ocean, is much friendlier. But still one has to know the land areas as some are restricted and some are not.

We fished in Homer, or Halibut. Not much more there without a lot of boating. Then is Seward, by favorite for the beauty, glaciers, wildlife (dolphins, sea lions, whales) and the fishing as Halibut, and more importantly Silver Salmon and even Ling Cod. Inland creeks and rivers are good for Salmon and we happened across a mass of Pinks at a creek mouth. With Mckinley in the background that day catching Pinks at will, I will surely remember that day forever.

Good luck. Get a guide so you can enjoy the visit without regulatory dread, and catch some fish.

Roy

We fished in Southeast Alaska 2 years ago and are booking a July 2008 trip. We were at Elfin Cove Lodge which is 65 air miles Northwest of Juneau and accessable by floatplane. There is another lodge in Elfin cove which seems first rate, Eagle Charters. A lot of Information is available on their websites. These outfits are quite expensive and in the range of 3000.00+ for 5 days, however halibut caught here by sportsman are some of the heavest in Alaska and 150 lber's are common.

Another self guided lodge we considered is Green Rock Wilderness lodge at 1700.00 for 7 days' looks like a good deal, photo gallery on their website shows smaller halibut but a lot of them.

I am convinced July is the best month for all around fishing in Alaska. King salmon are generally caught with downriggers as they stage near home rivers, Coho are usually a late Aug. early Sept. fish.

Barndoor sized halibut are a hoot to catch in 180' to 300' of water and a workout for your back and arms.

It's a long and tiring flight for us. We fly out of Pittsburgh, Pa to Seattle, Wa. and then an Alaska Air flight to Juneau. I haven't checked but Air Canada might have a flight direct to some Alaskan cities. Our travel time could be from 10 to 24 hrs.

I hope this helps,email if more info is needed