Georgian Bay smallies (PICS)

jdmls

So me and a buddy headed up to the bottom of Georgian Bay to a spot that has produced well for us in the past. Water was low and we fished for a good hour with no hits. Usually dragging tubes is a no brainer for at least half a dozen smallies but today they just weren't taking them...

I figured the cold front had shut them down with lock jaw and we weren't gonna get into any fish. When in doubt I begin throwing everything in my bag until something starts to produce fish. After about an hour of throwing hard baits, softbaits , spinners , spoons..... I looked at my zara spook.....It passed me earlier but I said naaaaa.

Its like 10 olock and I was fishing in 15 -20 ft of water....For the hell of it , i tied it on and began walking the dog..wouldn't you know it...wamm. This 4+ pound smallie comes acrobating out of the water. The minute I set the hook it bulldoged right down for the boulders. Stupid me was using 8lb mono......SNAP the fish breaks me off in the rocks.... I stopped, look at my buddy laughing at me and yelled Dang!. I go back in to my box in search for another spook and of course i didn't have one. I tied on a chug bug...Not even three casts later BAM I nailed another one... I nailed a couple more until another big dog took down the chug bug and once again cut me off in the rocks. Well know I am all out of topwater baits. So I try twitching my floating rapala minnows, but they did not produce as well as the noisey topwater baits.

Never doubt your topwater lures.. They will produce at the weirdest times in the weirdest conditions !!!

Here are some pics of the fish I picked up before I ran out of lures....I did get the one largie later in the day on the tube in the picture...

SEPT8TRENT6.jpg

SEPT8TRENT3.jpg

SEPT8TRENT1.jpg

SEPT8TRENT2.jpg

SEPT8TRENT4.jpg