Cars NF

English

Hi all went to a show at Grimsthorpe Castle in Lincolnshire today took the family it was an absolutely lovely day, saw a few vintage American cars amongst loads of others and thought of yees all.

Wonder if you can get them all, name only if you like, name and year would be great. There were only 5 American cars.

Also to make things a little more interesting a quiz for the really clever amongst yees, one of these 5 cars is being flown back to the US in 2 years time for a long journey, the owner won a competition of sorts and the manufacturers would like it there. Does any one know which and why?, this is just for fun, not like I am an expert or anything, I just thought it may be good fun.

Picture473.jpg

Picture474.jpg

Picture475.jpg

Picture476.jpg

Picture471.jpg

Also there was this beauty there a lot of history to this car, read the poster which was proudly displayed along side I couldnt get enough.

Picture472.jpg

Picture457.jpg

Picture456.jpg

Hope you can zoom in on this poster it gives so much history about this wondeful car.

Picture458.jpg

I had a check and it looks like you can zoom in on the poster so I typed it out long hand phew I think I had better go and lie down now.

1910 ROLLS ROYCE 40/50 SILVERGHOST

TITANIC GHOST

Chassis 1278 ordered from the Company to rare short chassis specification on 3rd November 1901 by the Rt. Hon. Lord Pirrie KP PC of Whitley Park Godalming, Godalming, Surrey, HM’s Lieut. For the City of Belfast, 1911 and Messers Harland and Wolff Ltd. And delivered to Pierries coachbuilder – Messers Morgan and Co Ltd of Long Acre, London on 18th May 1910 for bodying as a ceremonial double phaeton.

It was Pirrie who persuaded Bruce Ismay into the concept of constructing the largest ships in the world; Titanic, Britannic and Olympic, which were built at the Harland and Wolff shipyard in Belfast.

On Pirrie’s death in 1924, the vehicle passed to his brother-in-law, the honourable Alexander Montgomery Carlisle, who was chief designer at Harland and Wolff and who representedthat companyat the Board of Trade enquiry into the sinking of RMS Titanic on 15th April 1912. Carlisle had the Phaeton body removed and a cabriolet substituted.

When Carlisle died in 1926, 1278 was sold for £35 and fitted with an ambulance body. In 1932 this body was converted and the vehicle used as a breakdown truck and subsequently, as a prime mover for a set of gang-mowers on a Surrey golf course. It was aging for sale for £7.10s. in a breakers yard on the main London – Maidstone road in 1950.

It was then sold to again become a breakdown truck, but in 1955 was purchased by London Rolls Royce dealer Jack Barclay, who had a period style body built on the chassis. Barclays kept 1278 as a promotional vehicle for thirty years, until being sold to an American owner on 12th June 1985.

Repatriated in 2000 and subject of a four year restoration, including the construction of a replica of the original double Phaeton coachwork, made possible by the recent discovery of contemporary photographs.

Regards Clive

Edited by English

Well the first one was obvious, as mentioned a Caddy, didn't know the year. Second one might be a Duesenberg or Studebaker? One of them has to be a Model A or T? I don't know, just throwing out a few guesses. As for the history of the last one, that's something and it looks great....cute kid too

Maureen

The oldest car at the show was the oldest one above it was a 1902 Oldsmobile still running excellent.

The deep maroon car was a 1939 or 38 buick

The blue car is the same age the name escapes me at the moment, but it is one of the names us Brits know, one of the more famous makes.

The old black ford was a 1914 model. The lucky owner has driven it from London to Lisbon 3000miles and has been selected by Ford motors to join in the New york to Seattle run which will happen in 2009 which is the centenary of the first ford to ever do the journey I think thats what he told me, I am sure there will be loads of information soon as they are bound to advertise it but you can say we heard it first on OFC.

The Cadillac well every one knew that.

was a fun day.

Regards All