Heading to Restoule

pigeonfisher

I have sort of swapped fishing for being a Dad for the past couple of years and really enjoy my new hobby. Not that I don't like fishing but it certainly has different rewards.

In sticking with the new hobby the wife and I went out and got ourselves a nice 1981 18' Glendale Glendette. This trailer is certainly no luxury ride but we have a number of trips (including NFLD next year) booked in it.

Our maiden voyage was to The Elora Gorge Park for 5 nights of trial camping. What a difference having a sink and fridge (not to mention a bathroom) can make to being comfortable while in a park. Overall, for less that the cost of a 20hp we are in good shape. (if anyone wants to buy a 20hp (longshaft, with aluminum transom lifter) evinrude with about 20 hours on it I can make you a heck of a deal $2200).

This next trip to Restoule will be great. I have towed the trailer over 200km (one stretch) and the bearing covers were not warm to the touch, anything else I should look for. I am likely installing the brake controller to take advantage of the newish electronic brakes that are on the trailer and I have heard that can be an interesting test of patience.

We will be meeting a couple up there that have a canoe with an electric motor so I will bring home some fish tales. In this case I am more interested in others stories about trailering with the family, things to do or not do and also any ideas of places to visit for the Wee Coop while we are up in the Near Nord.

Please make sure you get the brakes working, if you ever have to panic stop especially on wet pavement you will know why. Curves also can make for a scary experience. Electric brakes on a trailer are easy to maintain and once the controller is set up correctly will provide the extra safety a family should have. If you don't already have one get a smoke detector and monoxide detector as well. Better to be safe than sorry.

Edited by Garyv

(if anyone wants to buy a 20hp (longshaft, with aluminum transom lifter) evinrude with about 20 hours on it I can make you a heck of a deal $2200).

I would like Ken (Bowshep) to have some input with this. Cuz I certainly don't have a clue, but it sounds good :). He is not available right now, but I will direct him to this post in the morning. Anyway, if we are too late, then we are too late - good luck.

Hope you have a wonderful holiday with your family and friends.

Nancy