more questions from a DIY muskie wannabe

scuro

I'm going up north next week to give muskie fishing a true go, I'd appreciate answers to any of these questions:

1)Do you really need a Muskie type net? Can you hand grip a Muskie as you would a large pike? If a muskie net is needed what should the minimum diameter be?

2)Is there structure that should be trolled vrs. casted too? What I mean by that does some structure lead to much higher percentages for each method?

3)Big vrs small // flashy vrs realistic // fast vrs slow - If you can be out there for hours with no action, how do you know when to go big,flashy, and fast vrs smaller, more realistic, and slow?

4)trolling speeds around 5mph, I did that before and that just seems like an insane speed. Does everyone always go fast?

5)In your mind what is ideal muskie structure?

6)Any specific pointers for next week on a shield lake in the Northbay region?

Edited by scuro

Well I'm certainly no expert but I would run 4.5 to 5 mph with THESE

baits. Never more than 10 feet from the boat. As for the net, if you don't already have one, borrow one. Get a Frabill. Make sure you have decent release tools as well... good long nosed pliers and decent bolt cutters. Looking forward to the report.

I'm far from an expert.But I have a craddle i use on Musky & big pike.It allows you to keep the fish in the water.And they don't get all caught up in a net.They also stay pretty calm in my craddle.And you can unhook them without taking them outta the water.I've stopped using the Vulcan nerve lock many years ago.And since then I bring them in green now.I use to have to fight the fish untill I figured I could handle it( I've never used a net).Now I'm using a craddle, my % of landed Musky has doubled.And the fish I release have a much better chance of living, since I bring them into the craddle green.

I think a trolling speed of 5 MPH is good.The burst speed of a big musky would blow your mind.Even when casting, if you think your reeling to fast, your not! As fast as you can reel, a Musky can burst faster.

All the other Q's you have, I'll leave to the experts. :thumbsup_anim:

Good luck.