Honeymoon Help!

danbouck

We are looking at going camping for our honeymoon in September and I need some help finding some spots. We are starting out by going up to a friends property on Manitoulin Island for a night or 2. Then we were going to head over towards Sault Ste Marie to spend 1 night there. Next stop I was thinking would be Lake Superior Prov. Park for a couple nights or to Chapleau. We are really hoping to spend a majority of the time at Lake Temagami on our way back east. We will be towing our 14 footer with us and we have our 18 month old son and two dogs with us. What do you think would be some good spots to spend the nights where we can catch some fish :Gonefishing: and let our son play in the water and woods? I am willing to change my route and go further north if there are some good places. Any help is greatly appreciated. :canadian:

Hey Dan, first off congratulations!

There's so many great places up there...it's hard to single out any.

However, if you travel up hwy 17 north of the Soo then take 101 east to Chapleau there's a really nice camp on Anjigami lake east of Hawk Junction right off hwy 101. They've got an amazing beach there http://www.duenorth.net/campanjigami/

If you continue along 101 to Chapleau you can make the long drive into Missinaibi Provincial Park. Very remote, and huge scenic lake with amazing fishing.

From there cut down 129 and follow the signs to Wakami Lake Provincial Park. Great little underutilised park with good pike and walleye fishing.

From there instead of continuing south along 129 you can head east on the Sultan (E.B. Eddy) logging road over to hwy 144. It's a massive shortcut, but beyond that you can access Ramsey Lake off the Sultan road. There's a rough, but very decent boat launch and there's lots of nice island campsites. Walleye fishing is very good.

You'll be there in September, so you might want to check out the rivers flowing into the north channel of huron and the Superior trib's off hwy 17. That's PRIME time for pink salmon. There are literally millions of them, and when they first enter the rivers they're still very silver and aggressive. They'll hit spoons and spinners like crazy....very easy fishing!

cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

Is that logging road OK for my 2 wheel drive truck? Any of the logging roads for that matter?

Absolutely OK, although the condition of the road varies depending on when it was last graded. It's actually quite heavily travelled...

I'm usually on that road at least once a year and never had a problem. A few years back I drove my old Ford Probe on it several times so that should answer your question right there.

Congrats! My uncle has a cottage on Temagami, I have been going there for over 15 years. The smallmouth fishing is second to none, 100 in a day is easy to accomplish when you find them. Look for beaver homes that are near or on shore, the minnows hang out here and the smallies move in on them in the mornings and evenings. When the sun is overhead try boat docks near deep water. Live bait is the key, invest in a minnow dip net and you have an endless supply. I have caught them on silver or gold spinners as well. Try trolling silver or gold worm harnesses with a leech attached, troll close to shore. Any kind of midwater rock pile/small island will aslo hold them. When you are trolling don't be surprised if you get a big pike. The pike are hard to fish for because I don't think there are a lot of them but the incedental ones I did catch were 10 plus pounds. Good luck, let me know how it goes.