Guide to Eating Ontario Sport Fish

addy79

After looking at the report I have a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can answer for me:

Are the fish listed per lake the only sport fish available in the body of water? or are they the fish that the ministry has stocked in the lake? or are they the only fish they recommend for consumption?

If those are the only fish species that the ministry has chosen to stock, why the HECK dont they stock more muskies??

Who decides which species to stock and where?

Is there a person you can contact to request certain species/lakes are stocked (i know, fat chance)?

In my quest to catch as many of ontario's fish species this year I have been using the eating guide to understand what fish I might catch in different bodies of water. I soon realised that there were many fish that were not listed which I had caught from listed lakes. Therefore I have come to the conclusion that the fish listed are those that are the most commonly found species, those most targetted for eating, and those that MNR have caught and tested or stocked. As for Musky - it is not listed anywhere in the guide I don't think because if you ready the intro it says that muskies should be caught and released and not eaten as they are very slow growers and can contain high levels of pollutants - sound arguments for conservation and safety.

That's just my logical conclusions from reading bits of the guide - but there may be some other guys from MNR on OFC who could tell you more. I think there is one member who actually helped produce the guide - but can't remember their name.

I have produced the book since 2005, It is my undestanding that they test what they consider to be "sport fish" that people would usually consume when caught.

But according to the news report,s if correct we are in for a major revision for the next one.

Hope this helps.

I agree with 007 and ketchenany, I too have caught fish not listed in the guide for specific lakes. I believe that they are the mosy likely fish you will catch on that specific lake. I use it as well as a basic guide to see what I may catch on a lake, other fish are just bonuses!! Ryan