Rainy River Ontario/Minnesota

mj2112

I've been spending a lot of time on Rainy River lately. Fishing was slow for me when I arrived here but it is picking up. I found a nice spot near "the gap" that is holding some big smallies. I caught those on a buzzbait, white swimbait,  and blue fox #5. I've been trolling the weedbeds, 6pm to dark using spinners (white with some red) and have caught 8 northerns 37-40 inches. One Northern was 34 inches but it's girth was incredible. It was fat! I jig for Walleyes on Lake of the Woods in various spots (I look for the charter boats) and fish near them. A lot of people use hammered gold jigs which work but I've started using a drop shot rig with a frozen shiner, and it's been working great! I was jigging a deep channel yesterday for walleye, and latched onto a 52 inch sturgeon. My first sturgeon ever. I was using a gold hammered jig, red tinsel, and a frozen shiner! The fight was on with light tackle and 8lb test. 45 minutes later it was in the net. If anyone wants more specific locations, feel free to reply.